Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, I am a citizen from Spain on a E2 Visa. What option could I do to file my taxes through the web? I also have capital gains from stocks. Thank you

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Hello, I am a citizen from Spain on a E2 Visa. What option could I do to file my taxes through the web? I also have capital gains from stocks. Thank you

In order to decide which filing method(s) are most appropriate for your situation (on an E-2 investor visa), you will need to determine if you should file as a nonresident alien or a resident alien, which are (2) different classifications under United States (US) tax law.

In order to help you do that, you can visit the following IRS.gov webpage:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc851.html

On your particular type of visa, you will probably not meet the "Green Card" test, but you could possibly meet the "Substantial Presence Test."  If someone can satisfy either test, then they are classified as a resident alien, and they file their US tax returns just as a US citizens do, using the same Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 1040.

TurboTax can handle such a tax return, using the internet to file, as long as you possess a credit card with a US address.  If you are overseas (not in the US), and do not have a US-based credit card, you can still order the physical TurboTax CD-ROM software from an online vendor, such as Amazon.com, and have it mailed to your home country (Spain).

If someone cannot satisfy either IRS resident alien test, then they are classified as a nonresident alien; and if they have US-source income they would need to file Form 1040NR, plus Form 8843.

While TurboTax can complete most any type of tax return for US citizens and resident aliens, at the present time we do not support the nonresident Form 1040NR, or Form 8843.

However, TurboTax has partnered with a company called "Sprintax.com" to offer certain nonresident tax preparation services.  They can help you with filing a Form 1040NR, as well as other necessary tax forms such as those for investment sales; and we think you would be pleased with their services.  If you decide to go with them, you won't need to find a specialized tax lawyer or international accountant.  They can be a cost-effective way to take care of your nonresident tax compliance needs.

For further information you can visit them on the internet at:

https://www.sprintax.com/non-resident-alien-tax-1040nr-turbotax.html

We hope this information will prove useful to you, and thank you for thinking of TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies