turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ronnie2

How can i have an underpayment penalty when i work for a company and have only a tax bill for a $1000 lottery ticket i won and a savings bond i cashed in

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can i have an underpayment penalty when i work for a company and have only a tax bill for a $1000 lottery ticket i won and a savings bond i cashed in

Generally, you don't owe a penalty as long as at least one of these statements is true.

1. You owe less than $1000 with your tax return.

2. Your payments into the system (estimated payments or withholding) is at least 90% of your tax liability this year.

3. Your payments into the system are at least 100% of your tax liability for last year.

If Turbotax thinks you owe a penalty, then you probably didn't have enough withheld at your job (too many allowances on your W-4).  The amount of extra tax due on a $1000 prize and one savings bond should not, by itself, push you into penalty territory.  Turbotax may also be incorrect.  

You can decline Turbotax's recommendation to add a penalty, and let the IRS bill you if you really owe a penalty.  When you get the bill, you can request an abatement of the penalty if this is your first time owing a penalty.

Abatement https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/penalty-relief-due-to-first-time-penal...

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Generally, you don't owe a penalty as long as at least one of these statements is true.

1. You owe less than $1000 with your tax return.

2. Your payments into the system (estimated payments or withholding) is at least 90% of your tax liability this year.

3. Your payments into the system are at least 100% of your tax liability for last year.

If Turbotax thinks you owe a penalty, then you probably didn't have enough withheld at your job (too many allowances on your W-4).  The amount of extra tax due on a $1000 prize and one savings bond should not, by itself, push you into penalty territory.  Turbotax may also be incorrect.  

You can decline Turbotax's recommendation to add a penalty, and let the IRS bill you if you really owe a penalty.  When you get the bill, you can request an abatement of the penalty if this is your first time owing a penalty.

Abatement https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/penalty-relief-due-to-first-time-penal...

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies