turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For the past few days I've been researching the tax code 1031 and how it can't be used w/ cryptocurrency in 2018 ... So what will it be taxed as? Income, capital gain..?

A bunch of articles (including one on here) were saying, day trades for cryptocurrency would be taxed as income, while long-term investing with it is taxed as Capital gains. I am trying to figure out if that is in regards to 2018. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For the past few days I've been researching the tax code 1031 and how it can't be used w/ cryptocurrency in 2018 ... So what will it be taxed as? Income, capital gain..?

Besides definitely not qualifying as a 1031 Exchange, nothing changes in 2018 in regards to cryptocurrency.  The same rules apply.

If you are not sure of what those rules are, you need to provide as much detail as possible for exactly what you do with the cryptocurrency.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf

View solution in original post

2 Replies

@TaxGuyBill thank you very much for that quick response.  That is exactly what I was looking for.

Besides definitely not qualifying as a 1031 Exchange, nothing changes in 2018 in regards to cryptocurrency.  The same rules apply.

If you are not sure of what those rules are, you need to provide as much detail as possible for exactly what you do with the cryptocurrency.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-14-21.pdf
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies