turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

js5

How do you determine fair market value for one room and what date to use for date purchased, eg when house was purchased? I had water damage in the living room.

How do you determine fair market value for one room and what date to use for date purchased, eg when house was purchased? I had water damage in the living room. Some steps are provided by TurboTax  for unexpected casualty loss, but the instructions do not go beyond describing the event. I paid for repairs (drywall repair, carpet, etc.) out right, did not claim with insurance.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do you determine fair market value for one room and what date to use for date purchased, eg when house was purchased? I had water damage in the living room.

For the date: use the date you purchased the home 

For the fair market value: determine the fair market value of your home before the damage (your tax records) and apportion the room to that value. 

For example: If you home was 2000 square feet, and your living room is 15 x 15 (225 sq ft), it is 11.25% of your home; you will use 11.25% of you home value as the fair market value.   

View solution in original post

1 Reply

For the date: use the date you purchased the home 

For the fair market value: determine the fair market value of your home before the damage (your tax records) and apportion the room to that value. 

For example: If you home was 2000 square feet, and your living room is 15 x 15 (225 sq ft), it is 11.25% of your home; you will use 11.25% of you home value as the fair market value.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies