turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dkirklin

1031 exchange: which date do I enter for item 3 on the 8824, date originally acquired for my home that I lived in, then rented out?

Do I enter the date I actually purchased the home or the date I started renting it out (the date it actually became an investment property)?  I only lived in it for about a year, then moved due to military separation.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

1031 exchange: which date do I enter for item 3 on the 8824, date originally acquired for my home that I lived in, then rented out?

For Form 8824 (Like Kind Exchanges, IRC Section 1031), Line 3, you should use the date on which you originally acquired (i.e., bought) the property in the first instance.  This should be the date of the purchase transaction recorded by your title company or attorney in the local county property records -- not the date upon which you later "converted" the property from a personal residence into a rental.

Thank you for asking about this clarification.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

For Form 8824 (Like Kind Exchanges, IRC Section 1031), Line 3, you should use the date on which you originally acquired (i.e., bought) the property in the first instance.  This should be the date of the purchase transaction recorded by your title company or attorney in the local county property records -- not the date upon which you later "converted" the property from a personal residence into a rental.

Thank you for asking about this clarification.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies