turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcos

Is cost basis figured on the value of stock when issued, if due to a spin off in the company?

If stock A created a separate company and gave me shares of stock B, then merged with another company sending me a check for the shares, would my cost basis be the value of stock B when they issued them?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Is cost basis figured on the value of stock when issued, if due to a spin off in the company?

What did you pay for shares in Stock B? If you paid nothing extra, then your basis is $0.

If some of your shares in Stock A were converted to Stock B, then your basis is what you paid for Stock A.

maglib
Level 10

For every stock spin off, you must allocate basis of the original shares to the new company spun off.  Normally the companies have something on their websites to walk you through how to allocate basis in spin offs as it's based on the price the shares trade at the next day and often complicated.

If you post the companies involved, you could get better assistance.  Do it as a new post though, don't reuse older posts.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
costbasis

First you need to determine the tax status of the spinoff. You allocate basis only if  the tax opinion states that it is a tax-free spinoff.  If it is taxable, your basis is the fair market value at the date of the spinoff of the new shares and there is no allocation of basis from the parent company shares.
Manage cookies