turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

donlanjp1

How do i add just totals for stock sales

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You can't enter stock sales in TurboTax Free Edition. You will have to upgrade to Premier, or use any edition of the CD or download TurboTax software.

In TurboTax Premier, after you enter the name of the brokerage, you will get a screen with two choices: "I'll enter one sale at a time" or "I'll enter a summary for each sales category." Select the second option, and it will then give you boxes to enter the total proceeds and total cost, and select the sale category (short-term or long-term, covered or noncovered). After that screen, you will get a screen that asks if you need to enter another sale, meaning totals for another category. You have to enter separate totals for each category.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

First, you must upgrade from TT Free.
donlanjp1

how to populate schedule d manually.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You cannot make entries directly on Schedule D. In TurboTax Online you cannot make entries directly on the forms at all. Everything has to be entered through the question-and-answer interview. Even in the CD or download TurboTax software, you do not make any entries on Schedule D. If you don't want to use the interview, you enter all the information on either the Form 1099-B Worksheet or the Capital Gain (Loss) Transaction Worksheet. It flows from the worksheets to Schedule D.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Entering investment sales in forms mode in the CD/Download TurboTax software is very complicated and error-prone. I strongly recommend using the Step-by-Step interview.

I wonder if OP is trying to do a What If scenario?
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

More likely he has a large number of transactions and doesn't want to enter them all individually.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You can't enter stock sales in TurboTax Free Edition. You will have to upgrade to Premier, or use any edition of the CD or download TurboTax software.

In TurboTax Premier, after you enter the name of the brokerage, you will get a screen with two choices: "I'll enter one sale at a time" or "I'll enter a summary for each sales category." Select the second option, and it will then give you boxes to enter the total proceeds and total cost, and select the sale category (short-term or long-term, covered or noncovered). After that screen, you will get a screen that asks if you need to enter another sale, meaning totals for another category. You have to enter separate totals for each category.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies