turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jjo1
Returning Member

Entering Short term and Long term sales directly on Schedule D without needing Form 8949.

I imported my 1099B from the broker and the short term and long term sales are all eligible to be entered directly on Schedule D on line 1a and 8a without the need to use form 8949.  However, Turbo Tax (TT) entered the sales on line 1b and 8b.  I attempted to correct the entries on the 1099-b worksheet by entering the proceeds and cost in the box "form 8949 reporting exception transactions"  When I did this TT simply entered the values on lines 1a and 8a and 8b and 8b which  doubled the correct amount.  Does anyone know how I can get the proper entries on Schedule D?  Will modifying the Schedule D, cause me to not be able to electronically file the return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Entering Short term and Long term sales directly on Schedule D without needing Form 8949.

jjo1,

If you are e-filing, why do you want to override TurboTax listing the individual entries?  Are the totals so different due to rounding that you expect to save a few bucks on taxes?

When I did this TT simply entered the values on lines 1a and 8a and 8b and 8b which  doubled the correct amount. 

You have to delete the relevant imported transactions, and then do what you did.

There is a command to delete all imported transactions which may be simpler.

It may delete everything and then you would start over.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies