Solved: Entering rental utility expenses for apartment in home

Entering rental utility expenses for apartment in home

I'm entering utility expenses for a rented basement apartment. We live in the top floor. It says "Since we are allocating, be sure to enter 100% of your expenses in these fields" but should I enter half because it asks for the rental property utility expenses and our house is split between us and the rental? I'm not sure what is meant by Turbotax is doing the allocation - is Turbotax going to cut the expenses in half?

Yes, if you chose the option to have TurboTax allocate your expenses for you, enter the total expense for the entire property. 

If this is an expense specific to the rental space (for instance, a separate utility line), you will need to enter an amount that results in the total you need. In other words, double the expense if you rent half your home.

Otherwise, you will need to do the allocation yourself in order to enter separate expenses.

[revised]

[revised]

Thank you! That worked. I now see on the summary page half of the utility amount I entered. Another question: I don't see where to enter expenses that are for the rental space only. For instance, the repairs section also tells me expenses will be allocated. However, I have two clogged drain repairs to enter that were for the apartment.

Yes, you are correct. The allocation method doesn't allow entry of separate expenses. See revised answer above.

I only rented my basement apartment for 1/2 the year.  When I enter Utility expenses, do I enter total expenses for 1/2 the year or the full year? for Turbo Tax allocation.  It says enter the total expense for the entire property... is this only for the months rented for the year?

When I enter expenses for the rental do I include the amount paid with tax or without tax?  For example, Tile supplies $76.71, with tax $82.12?

Yes, when asking TurboTax to allocate for you, enter the total amount for the period that the property was rented or listed for rent. Don't include expenses paid after you stopped using the space as a rental.

Include any sales tax that was paid.

Thank you for the answers!