turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MoreyTax
Returning Member

Entering long Term Capital loss against long term gains

i have stock from a long term company buy out that I purchased at $93.50 and within the following year dropped to ~20.00.  The stock has moved through 2 other companies and is currently at $21.00.  I sold several shares of company positive stock and also sold the long term loss stock.  How do I enter the entire long term loss against the gain of my sales.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please follow these steps to enter you stock sales:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on "Search" on the top right and type “investment sales”
  3. Click on “Jump to investment sales”
  4. TurboTax will walk you through entering the sales

TurboTax will calculate the gains and losses for you. If you had a net capital loss (more losses than gains) then you can deduct up to $3,000 ($1,500 if married filing separately) against your regular income.  Any capital losses you couldn't deduct this year can be carried forward and deducted on future tax returns. This is called a capital loss carryover.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MoreyTax
Returning Member

How can i take the entire loss from gain.  I knew several individuals from my company that were able to do this.  The stock was from a  Company A buying Company B forcing employees to purchase the new company stock resulting in a major loss within the year.   Their accountant was able to take the entire loss to offset the gain from other stock.  

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

You can take the entire capital loss if there are enough long term gains.  Just enter the transactions in TurboTax and it will calculate the net for you--the long term losses will offset the long-term capital gains.  After doing that, if there is still a capital loss, you can deduct up to $3,000 of the loss against your regular income.  The amount above $3,000 will be carried forward to next year's tax return (and beyond, if necessary).

@MoreyTax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies