turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

musicprof

Enter 1099B in turbotax

My mother died in 2003. In 2015 I received notice of “found money” from NY State, and I had them sell what turned out to be shares of MetLife stock, and forward the proceeds. For 2016 taxes I received a 1099-B The box at the top says “CANNOT DETERMINE THE BOX TO CHECK”. Only sale date, amount,  Box 5 checked, and Box 6 Gross proceeds were provided on the form. How do I fill out Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Enter 1099B in turbotax

Box 1b (date acquired) is the date of your mother's death.

The basis of the stock is equal to its closing price on the date your mother died. If you know the number of shares (is that what you meant by "amount"?), then multiply the number of shares times the price on her date of death, and you have the amount for Box 1e. You can find the share price for any date by typing the ticker symbol into the internet and searching.

If you don't know the number of shares, you can calculate them. Find the share price on the date in box 1c. Divide proceeds by share price, and you will have the number of shares.

Inherited shares are always long-term. Rules about reporting purchase price changed in 2011; "covered" means that the purchase occurred after this regulation took effect. These shares would be Sales category E: Long term noncovered.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Enter 1099B in turbotax

Box 1b (date acquired) is the date of your mother's death.

The basis of the stock is equal to its closing price on the date your mother died. If you know the number of shares (is that what you meant by "amount"?), then multiply the number of shares times the price on her date of death, and you have the amount for Box 1e. You can find the share price for any date by typing the ticker symbol into the internet and searching.

If you don't know the number of shares, you can calculate them. Find the share price on the date in box 1c. Divide proceeds by share price, and you will have the number of shares.

Inherited shares are always long-term. Rules about reporting purchase price changed in 2011; "covered" means that the purchase occurred after this regulation took effect. These shares would be Sales category E: Long term noncovered.

musicprof

Enter 1099B in turbotax

Awesome, Miriam! That helped me out a lot!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies