turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to list inherited foreign royalty payments (my fathers intellectual property from music) on my tax return? The yearly amount is usually between $200 - $400.

The royalty payments are from Germany and I was under the impression that the German intellectual property agency (GEMA) automatically deducts the taxes but my brother told me that that's not the case. I filed form 6166 and had my tax documents sent directly to the agency for certification of my US tax residency. Thank you for your help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

Do I have to list inherited foreign royalty payments (my fathers intellectual property from music) on my tax return? The yearly amount is usually between $200 - $400.

Yes, as a US citizen or resident, you have to report your worldwide income.

So your foreign royalty payments have toi be reported as income. If you have paid any foreign tax on them, you can claim the tax credit on form 1116.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, as a US citizen or resident, you have to report your worldwide income.

So your foreign royalty payments have toi be reported as income. If you have paid any foreign tax on them, you can claim the tax credit on form 1116.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

Just a bit of clarification for others here, as I can see how it can be confusing and unclear to someone that doesn't undertsand inheritance.

Inherited foreign royalty payments.

The payments themselves are not inherited. It's the 'rights" to the payments that were inherited. But the payments to the one who has those rights are reportable on their tax return.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate all of your help! It makes sense that the "rights" are inherited and that the payments are therefore foreign income instead of an inheritance.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies