Difference between covered and non covered( basis when reported and non reported) to IRS, regarding capital gains and capital loss

I'd like to know about this one too.  In fact Turbotax added my short term gains as class C on the form but  doesn't explain or have a selection for that in the UI.  Thanks.

If I have uncovered gains and don't have a record of the purchase, how do I declare cost?

In tax year 2011, new legislation was passed requiring brokers to report adjusted basis and whether any gain or loss on a sale is classified as short-term or long-term from the sale of "covered securities" on Form 1099-B. Prior to this time frame, it was hit or miss to get this level of detail from investment firms.  Covered just distinguishes the investments that must include this detail from those that do not, noncovered.  An investment is considered covered if it is:

• Shares of corporate stock acquired on or after January 1, 2011.

• Shares of stock in mutual funds and stock acquired in connection with a dividend reinvestment plan are generally not covered unless acquired after January 1, 2012. 

• Certain other types of securities (e.g., debt instruments and options) will be covered if acquired after January 1, 2014.

"Non-covered" securities are any securities purchased or acquired before the above effective dates. Transactions involving assets purchased and held prior to these effective dates can still be reported as they have been in the past, meaning that brokers may not provide detailed cost basis reporting to the IRS on the sales of "non-covered" securities.  They may decide to report only your gross proceeds. For these situations, it is your responsibility to report the proper cost basis on non-covered securities to the IRS. If you do not have this information, you can still seek help from your broker, but it may be a little more difficult than getting information for covered securities.

Let me know if this resolves your tax question. Thank you for choosing TurboTax.  Have a wonderful day!  ~Leslie, EA

Thanks Leslie very helpful!

Hello LeslieB

My Mother passed mid-year 2019 and  noncovered securities were sold and I am not able to find the cost basis for these Unit Investment Trust securities.  TurboTax Home & Business (for the Individual return) and TurboTax Business (for the Estate return) throws an error because I don't have a Cost Basis to enter.  What do I do?

That's tough.  If you don't have records for this you will need to but a cost basis of $0 and pay tax on the full gain.