Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Crypto CSV import STILL not working.

As I've noticed from several other posts, this is an on-going issue to get CSV files (even those that are supposed to be supported like Webull Crypto) to upload.  

Two tax experts @JamesG1 @AmyC

suggested files with only  these 5 columns in this order:

1. Purchase date
  2. Date sold
  3. Proceeds
  4. Cost basis
  5. Currency name

It did not work.  

What I have tried:  I downloaded the CSV file from Webull Crypto and tried to upload it without any edits.  

I got the error "The file column names in your CSV file are not correct."

I made sure the only  5 columns it had were in the order that was suggested.  I resaved the file.  Tried to upload again. 

Same error.

I started a new excel file and pasted the values into it incase there was something wrong with the file and tried to upload it again.  

Same error. 

I tried to format the proceeds and cost basis columns to make sure they were numbers and tried to upload. 

Same error.  

I think there may be an IT issue keeping this from working?

When it gives the error, it also says to "please follow the instructions on the on the right-hand side to download the proper file."  And there is a link to this (article here) which says to use the "Turbotax Universal Template" but when I only have the data Webull Crypto gave (those 5 columns from before) how do I do that? 

I also don't understand all the column headers: 

Date, Type, Sent Asset, Send Amount, Recieved Asset, Recieved Amount,  Fee Asset, Fee Amount, Market Value Currency, Market Value, Description, Transaction Hash, Transaction ID.  

I get the date.  Type is Transaction Type like buy/sell/etc but I am not confident on the rest.  A good example / screenshot of one or an explanation of each of the columns with an example data would be nice if we really have to use this.  

~ Amy ~
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I am able to upload a .csv file into TurboTax Premier Online.  The file may be viewed here.

At the screen What’s the name of the crypto service, I select Other (Gain/Loss) and enter the name of the service.  Click Continue.

At the screen Go ahead and upload your crypto CSV file, upload the file.

The items must be reviewed and edited.

Hope this helps.

@KatValek 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I am able to upload a .csv file into TurboTax Premier Online.  The file may be viewed here.

At the screen What’s the name of the crypto service, I select Other (Gain/Loss) and enter the name of the service.  Click Continue.

At the screen Go ahead and upload your crypto CSV file, upload the file.

The items must be reviewed and edited.

Hope this helps.

@KatValek 

Ya this doesn't seem to work either and no one can see your file.

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Please clarify your experience with uploading CSV crypto files to TurboTax Online. What crypto exchange are you using? Do you receive an error message from TurboTax? 

Please be aware that for some exchanges (like Coinbase and Binance.us), you need to upload a Gain/Loss report and not the full transaction report.

Oh my goodness, IT WORKED!!!!   I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!   YOU HAVE TO LOOK CLOSELY!!

IN ROW 1 you have to enter  "a, b, c, d, and e" in the first 5 columns.   

THEN IN ROW 2 enter the 5 column titles.  

Then in ROW 3 starts the data.  

Everyone LOGICALLY assumes the "a, b, c, d, and e" are the column headers in EXCEL.    Why?  Because it is LOGICAL and because  EVERY EXCEL spreadsheet the colmnsa are labelled for you as a, b, c, d, e, etxc.  OH, BUT NOT HERE.  You have to enter a new row.  And in Column A, enter "a".  And in Column B, enter "b", and so on .....   UNBELIEVABLE!!!   BUT ONCE I DID THIS, IT FINALLY WORKED.   MOST OF A SATURDAY DESTROYED reading numerable help articles and trying a myriad of things.   

Oh my goodness, IT WORKED!!!!   I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!   YOU HAVE TO LOOK CLOSELY!!

IN ROW 1 you have to enter  "a, b, c, d, and e" in the first 5 columns.   

THEN IN ROW 2 enter the 5 column titles.  

Then in ROW 3 starts the data.  

Everyone LOGICALLY assumes the "a, b, c, d, and e" are the column headers in EXCEL.    Why?  Because it is LOGICAL and because in EVERY EXCEL spreadsheet the columns are already labelled for you as a, b, c, d, e, etc.  OH, BUT NOT HERE.  You have to enter a new row.  And in Column A, enter "a".  And in Column B, enter "b", and so on .....   UNBELIEVABLE!!!   BUT ONCE I DID THIS, IT FINALLY WORKED.   MOST OF A SATURDAY DESTROYED reading numerable help articles and trying a myriad of things.  No good error messages and an ILLOGICAL format expected is WAAAY UNSATISFACTORY.   I think a high school student wrote the upload program for Inuit in less than an hour and tested it themself and now the rest of us have to deal with it.    

Shanna123

I edited my uphold csv file to match the "template" and have been trying to upload it for the past hour.. just sitting here watching the spinning dots and touching the screen so it won't time out (it timed out at least 5 times before now)and I feel like nothing is actually happening. I am on my laptop btw on turbotaxonline.intuit.com

Why is this such a difficult process?

Shanna123 -  I was using the desktop/laptop version of Turbo Tax called Premier, not the cloud/on-line version @intuit.com.   So, I am not sure the on-line version of Turbo Tax works the same way or takes the same format as the desktop software, however, here is one thing to try.   Try saving and closing the file before trying to upload.  I did find that I had to do that in order for the upload program to read my file.  Without closing the file I always receive the"unsuccessful" message.  I hope it works the same in the cloud/on-line version and you are successful.   Also, I am equally unsure as to why it has to be so hard.    

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

You may have to work with the crypto upload options to successfully upload.  What crypto service are you wanting to upload into TurboTax Online Premium?

As an example, at the screen What's the name of the crypto service you used, the name entered under Crypto service  determines the CSV Type that the software wants to upload.  

In this example, entering Binance.US gives me only the Raw transaction activity option.

However, if I enter Other under Crypto service and enter Binance.US under Name, I now am presented two options for upload.  

The options are:

• Gain/Loss Report or Form 1099-B, or
  • Raw transaction activity.

I am able to upload the CSV file below as a Gain/Loss Report or Form 1099-B but I was not able to upload the file as Raw transaction activity.

I am able to successfully download here.

I am able to Review the file by using the Bulk Edit function.

@Shanna123 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies