turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Check This Entry Schedule E Worksheet (rental property): Line 3-1099 misc -- Income from rental real estate and income from royalties must be reported as separate properties on Schedule E.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Check This Entry Schedule E Worksheet (rental property): Line 3-1099 misc -- Income from rental real estate and income from royalties must be reported as separate properties on Schedule E.

Unfortunately, you can't report both rental income and royalty income under the same property on Schedule E.

To resolve this, enter two separate properties (activities) under Rental Properties & Royalties.

To find this section in TurboTax, use the Search box at the top right side of the TurboTax header. Enter "schedule e", hit Enter, then click on "jump to schedule e".

Continue to the list of Rental/Royalty Properties.

Review the entries for the Royalty Property that received income on Form 1099-MISC. Be sure you checked the box for "Royalty" in the Property Profile section.

After you've completed this review, add the rental property. You can keep the same address, but enter a different property description and be sure to mark this as "Rental". See screenshot below (click to enlarge).

You can report your expenses under the Rental Property, as well as any other rental income.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MichaelDC

Unfortunately, you can't report both rental income and royalty income under the same property on Schedule E.

To resolve this, enter two separate properties (activities) under Rental Properties & Royalties.

To find this section in TurboTax, use the Search box at the top right side of the TurboTax header. Enter "schedule e", hit Enter, then click on "jump to schedule e".

Continue to the list of Rental/Royalty Properties.

Review the entries for the Royalty Property that received income on Form 1099-MISC. Be sure you checked the box for "Royalty" in the Property Profile section.

After you've completed this review, add the rental property. You can keep the same address, but enter a different property description and be sure to mark this as "Rental". See screenshot below (click to enlarge).

You can report your expenses under the Rental Property, as well as any other rental income.

OK I worked out what was wrong.

Make sure that you don't have $0 in your form fields when going through the tax form.

Clear those out so that there is NOTHING in the form fields otherwise the stupid form thinks that $0 should be a number and it'll mindf$@k you until you go insane.

esg970

Thanks....that's exactly what you need to do! I was almost ready to print my return and mail it in because it wouldn't let me efile due to the error....I don't think I would have been able to figure it out.

For anyone that is experiencing this error, go back to your rental income section on your return and hit the edit button. You will see $0.00 in both box 2 for Royalties and box 3 for Other Income. You need to delete those so there's nothing in either of those boxes. Problem solved.

Correct ... putting in "place holding zeros" in data entry fields  are   not needed in the program or on a paper return 99.9% of the time so don't do it.  

Inge D

Tried all these suggestions and none of them worked.  Have all different descriptions and I checked for 0s in the boxes .  Had everything as it should be and still can't e-file and it throws me that error.

Did the same thing last year.  Will mail it again this year, rather than beating my head against a brick wall.  This is really frustrating.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If you tried all of the suggestions in this thread and none of them worked, you might try deleting the Schedule E form(s) and completing the interview again, taking care to identify each property as Royalty or Rental.

To delete a form in TurboTax Online:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Schedule E" and any related form or worksheet, and follow the instructions that appear.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Inge D

Thank you! I will try that since I still have a couple of days. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies