turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

14Falcon

Carry-over depreciation is not showing on current return

I amended my 2016 and 2017 returns to add depreciable expenses.  In this years return (2018) the depreciation carry-over expenses are not reflected (it reflects the amounts from the original 2017 return with no depreciation, not the amended return where some expenses are depreciated).  I downloaded the 2017 version of turbotax premier to amend the returns, but am using the online version this year.  How do I "find" my amended 2017 return so the correct carry-over is added?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You can transfer last year's tax data file (with a filename extension .tax2017) if you're preparing your 2018 return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without PLUS, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)

• You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2017.
  • Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring. Instructions

Note: If you already started your 2018 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered. Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started by selecting the Take me to my return button.
  2. After the screen has loaded, select the TaxTools drop-down menu in the left-hand column, and then select Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to Clear & Start Over.)

Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.

14Falcon

I have a download of turbotax premier with the corrected information but there appears to be no way to save the file as anything but a .pdf document.  Can I manually enter the carryover depreciation into this years version?  If so, how (do I need to enter the original cost and original date of service in order to have the correct depreciation for this year)?

Save should save a .tax file.   If you are going to manually enter, you will need detailed depreciation worksheet from the prior year return to go by.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies