14Falcon

Carry-over depreciation is not showing on current return

I amended my 2016 and 2017 returns to add depreciable expenses.  In this years return (2018) the depreciation carry-over expenses are not reflected (it reflects the amounts from the original 2017 return with no depreciation, not the amended return where some expenses are depreciated).  I downloaded the 2017 version of turbotax premier to amend the returns, but am using the online version this year.  How do I "find" my amended 2017 return so the correct carry-over is added?

MichaelL1

You can transfer last year's tax data file (with a filename extension .tax2017) if you're preparing your 2018 return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without PLUS, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)

• You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2017.
  • Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring. Instructions

Note: If you already started your 2018 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered. Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.

Here's how to transfer:

You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started by selecting the Take me to my return button.
  2. After the screen has loaded, select the TaxTools drop-down menu in the left-hand column, and then select Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to Clear & Start Over.)

Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.

14Falcon

I have a download of turbotax premier with the corrected information but there appears to be no way to save the file as anything but a .pdf document.  Can I manually enter the carryover depreciation into this years version?  If so, how (do I need to enter the original cost and original date of service in order to have the correct depreciation for this year)?
MichaelL1

Save should save a .tax file.   If you are going to manually enter, you will need detailed depreciation worksheet from the prior year return to go by.