I amended my 2016 and 2017 returns to add depreciable expenses. In this years return (2018) the depreciation carry-over expenses are not reflected (it reflects the amounts from the original 2017 return with no depreciation, not the amended return where some expenses are depreciated). I downloaded the 2017 version of turbotax premier to amend the returns, but am using the online version this year. How do I "find" my amended 2017 return so the correct carry-over is added?
You can transfer last year's tax data file (with a filename extension .tax2017) if you're preparing your 2018 return online in TurboTax Live Basic, TurboTax Deluxe, TurboTax Live Deluxe, TurboTax Premier, TurboTax Live Premier, TurboTax Self-Employed, or TurboTax Live Self-Employed. (Free Edition, with or without PLUS, doesn't support transferring last year's .tax file.)
- You won't be able to transfer a PDF, it must be a tax data file with a filename extension .tax2017.
- Remove any password protection from the data file before transferring. Instructions
Note: If you already started your 2018 return in TurboTax Online, transferring will clear any info you have already entered. Please keep in mind, a .tax file from a previous year will not transfer if the file is password protected.
Here's how to transfer:
You have to use TurboTax Online on your computer to do this transfer (it won’t work from a mobile device/mobile web, or in the mobile app).
- Sign in to TurboTax Online and start a new return, or continue a return you already started by selecting the Take me to my return button.
- After the screen has loaded, select the TaxTools drop-down menu in the left-hand column, and then select Tools.
- In the pop-up window, select the Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer link. (If you don’t see this option, you may need to Clear & Start Over.)
Follow the on-screen instructions to finish transferring your file.