Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I report Mortgage interest for Rental Property as personal itemized deduction?

I rent out a studio located on my primary residence that I reside in.  I will incur a nonallowed loss from the rental income this year. Can I claim the full mortgage interest and property taxes in the personal section to maximize my refund?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Can I report Mortgage interest for Rental Property as personal itemized deduction?

Yes in a way ... but you must  enter ALL of the common expenses in the Sch E section and the program will transfer the personal portion to the Sch A for you.  You cannot pick and choose where you can enter tax items, you must follow the rules.  Read up on them here ... focus on chapter 4  :  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p527.pdf

Carl
Level 15

No, you can't claim the "full" mortgage interest on SCH A. A percentage of that interest equal to the percentage of floor space rented, has to be claimed on SCH E. The remainder is a SCH A deduction.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies