Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cmmcd
Returning Member

Can I report a small, long-term stock sale loss in 2016 on my 2017 return?

I have a 1099b that reports my $300 long-term loss on a stock I sold in late 2016.  This 1099 had not been posted last year when I downloaded my 1099s for my 2016 return.  Do I now need to amend my 2016 return to record this loss, or can I record the loss in my 2017 return?  The later would surely be much simpler and result in no change in my taxes due.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Yes. You'll need to amend your 2016 return in order to claim the stock loss. Since it was only a $300 loss, you can safely file the 2017 first without the 2016 stock loss affecting the 2017. Sometimes losses get carried over from one year to the next. Yours isn't that situation. You'll have a few more years actually to file the amendment.

Also, you'll want to file the 2016 1099-B because it's possible the IRS doesn't know it's a loss yet.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

Yes. You'll need to amend your 2016 return in order to claim the stock loss. Since it was only a $300 loss, you can safely file the 2017 first without the 2016 stock loss affecting the 2017. Sometimes losses get carried over from one year to the next. Yours isn't that situation. You'll have a few more years actually to file the amendment.

Also, you'll want to file the 2016 1099-B because it's possible the IRS doesn't know it's a loss yet.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies