Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Flipper1

I am flipping a property to sale or rent. If the house doesn't sale this year, it will be for rent. Can I file all of my expenses and everything for this 2017?

I am flipping a property to sale or rent. If the house doesn't sale this year, it will be for rent. Can I file all of my expenses and everything for this 2017? or do I have to wait? What can I file this year and what can I not file this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

I am flipping a property to sale or rent. If the house doesn't sale this year, it will be for rent. Can I file all of my expenses and everything for this 2017?

It’s complicated, but the simple answer is NO. You cannot deduct anything this year.

That assumes your are an investor and not in the business of flipping houses. For an investment house, all your capital costs  go to your “cost basis”. When you sell the property, you capital gain (or loss) will be the difference  between the sale price and your cost basis (less expenses of sale).

If you end up renting the property, your cost basis determines your depreciable basis.

Until you put it to use as rental property, or sell it, you have an investment property. The carrying costs (e.g. insurance & utilities) of investment property are deductible as investment expenses, but are subject to being a misc. itemized deduction also subject to the 2% of AGI threshold (this is no longer allowed under the new 2018 tax law).  Real estate (property) tax may be deducted on schedule  A, under taxes, without regard to the 2% rule.

Alternatively, taxpayers can elect to capitalize (add it to your cost basis)  the carrying costs of unimproved and nonproductive real property, real property under development or construction and personal property before its installation or use (Regs. Sec. 1.266-1(b)(1)).  The election is made with the tax return by its due date, including extension, by attaching a statement. You cannot wait until you sell the property, but must make that election each year. Attach the statement to the return and write “Filed pursuant to section 301.9100-2” on the statement. 

Mortgage interest is only deductible to the extent of other investment income and not subject to the 2% of AGI rule,  but can be capitalized. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

It’s complicated, but the simple answer is NO. You cannot deduct anything this year.

That assumes your are an investor and not in the business of flipping houses. For an investment house, all your capital costs  go to your “cost basis”. When you sell the property, you capital gain (or loss) will be the difference  between the sale price and your cost basis (less expenses of sale).

If you end up renting the property, your cost basis determines your depreciable basis.

Until you put it to use as rental property, or sell it, you have an investment property. The carrying costs (e.g. insurance & utilities) of investment property are deductible as investment expenses, but are subject to being a misc. itemized deduction also subject to the 2% of AGI threshold (this is no longer allowed under the new 2018 tax law).  Real estate (property) tax may be deducted on schedule  A, under taxes, without regard to the 2% rule.

Alternatively, taxpayers can elect to capitalize (add it to your cost basis)  the carrying costs of unimproved and nonproductive real property, real property under development or construction and personal property before its installation or use (Regs. Sec. 1.266-1(b)(1)).  The election is made with the tax return by its due date, including extension, by attaching a statement. You cannot wait until you sell the property, but must make that election each year. Attach the statement to the return and write “Filed pursuant to section 301.9100-2” on the statement. 

Mortgage interest is only deductible to the extent of other investment income and not subject to the 2% of AGI rule,  but can be capitalized. 

Flipper1

What can I file this year? Can I file mileage?
Flipper1

Can I file security camera's?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Q. Can I file mileage?
A.  No. That goes to the cost of fixing up the property.

Q. Can I file security camera's?
A. That's a little fuzzzier. Yes, if you rented them (it's just another utility cost). No, if you purchased them and they go with the house.

Q.What can I file this year?
A. "Carrying costs", described above
Flipper1

Hate to ask a thousand questions. Can you post a link from the IRS website where I can find information in regards to my situation?
Hal_Al
Level 15

No. But just "Google"  house flipping and taxes (or similar wording). There are plenty of tax expert sites with detailed write-ups on the subject.
Flipper1

People have a lot of different versions and at this point I can not determine who's telling the truth and who's not if there's no real proof from the IRS. At the end of day, if something goes wrong and I end up owing the IRS, I am sure that person who mislead me isn't going to pay on my behalf or pay my fine.
Hal_Al
Level 15

You have an investment (unless you're in the flipping business). IRS Publication 550 is for Investment Income and
Expenses, including sales of investments. <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p550.pdf">https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p550.pdf</a>
Flipper1

Whats the difference between investor and flipping business?
Hal_Al
Level 15

The profit on the sale is no longer a capital gain. It's business profit and taxed as ordinary income. In addition you pay self employment tax (social security & medicare). Your fix up expenses are still NOT DEDUCTIBLE  until you sell the house. But general business expenses (like mileage) would be deductible. If you sell flip one house and quit; you're an investor. Anything else and it's most likely you're in business, but it depends on all the details.
Again,  just "Google"  house flipping and taxes. There are plenty of tax expert sites with detailed write-ups on the business vs. investment aspect
Flipper1

Do the same stipulations apply if I was a licensed real estate agent?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes. The main difference, in case of an audit,  would be that the IRS might tilt towards self employment.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies