turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I avoid offsetting my Long Term gains with Short Term losses. I want to carry forward all my Short term losses and use them to offset Short term gains in future.

I am fine with paying taxes on my Long term gains this year.
And carry forward all my short term losses to next year.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Can I avoid offsetting my Long Term gains with Short Term losses. I want to carry forward all my Short term losses and use them to offset Short term gains in future.

Unfortunately that is not an option.  The short term and long term gains and losses of any particular tax year are combined together.  Any remaining losses greater than $3000 can be carried forward and used in future years, but you cannot choose to carry forward only certain losses. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ttsap

Could you provide an example of the issue which is happening? Maybe you could adjust Cost Basis on your Deductions to limit Tax Liabilities if you incurred Losses overall.
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately that is not an option.  The short term and long term gains and losses of any particular tax year are combined together.  Any remaining losses greater than $3000 can be carried forward and used in future years, but you cannot choose to carry forward only certain losses. 

further, as this question has come up before

you must report all transactions that occurred; there is no leeway to defer the reporting to a future year. 

the IRS realizes that short term losses are more valuable than long term losses so that it forces you to use the short term losses to offset long term gains once any long term losses are gone! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies