Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I add improvements done before I turned my primary home into partial rental/primary to the cost basis when i sold the house at a loss?

I bought our primary house in 2005 at $630,000. Then we did major improvements like adding garage/family room and remodelled kitchen with cost of $100,000. Then in 2014, we rented out the lower level of the house out for 3 years while we still lived there. During this period of time, we had new bathrooms and hardwood floors, costing about $25,000. In 2018, we sold the house at $735,000. Can i claim a loss? If I can, can I add the $100,000 to the cost basis? Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Can I add improvements done before I turned my primary home into partial rental/primary to the cost basis when i sold the house at a loss?

Yes, you can add the improvements you made for $100k to your cost basis. You can also add to the cost basis the improvements you made in 2014. Note that you should not have claimed that amount of $25k as repairs in your rental expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can add the improvements you made for $100k to your cost basis. You can also add to the cost basis the improvements you made in 2014. Note that you should not have claimed that amount of $25k as repairs in your rental expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies