turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

CA 540 incorrectly shows 0 cost basis for RSU sale

I received some RSUs from my employer.  I received a 1099-B, along with a stock plan transactions supplement that shows the correct adjusted cost basis (as opposed  to the 1099-B which has $0 cost basis).  I believe I entered these correctly, as the federal capital gains/losses are exactly what I expect.  The federal 8949 reflects the correct capital gains/losses.

However, I noticed a significant difference when comparing my forms to those generated by Credit Karma.  The difference is in my CA taxable income.  I noticed that with TurboTax, my CA Schedule D (540) is still showing a cost basis of $0 for the RSU sales.  This results in an inflated capital gains income adjustment, and a large adjustment to my CA taxable income.  My understanding is that the CA Schedule D should still reflect the non-zero cost basis.

When I initially entered the 1099-B details, I mistakenly entered the cost basis as $0.  I later revisited that topic and entered the correct amounts.  Is it possible that the state forms are now messed up because of this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A TurboTax CPA rep was able to help me resolve this.  It turns out that initially entering a cost basis of $0 was the problem.  This generated a CA Schedule D (540) that should only be filled out when the state capital gains/losses are different than the federal.  After I entered the correct cost basis, the D (540) was not automatically removed.  Manually deleting the form fixed the issue.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

A TurboTax CPA rep was able to help me resolve this.  It turns out that initially entering a cost basis of $0 was the problem.  This generated a CA Schedule D (540) that should only be filled out when the state capital gains/losses are different than the federal.  After I entered the correct cost basis, the D (540) was not automatically removed.  Manually deleting the form fixed the issue.

Same issue here. Thanks for sharing the fix. How did you manually the CA Schedule D (540)?

I don't recall the specifics, but there was a link to view the individual forms and from there you can delete one.

This link might be helpful.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-view-and-delete-forms-in-turbotax-online/0...

Thanks very much, the link indeed helped me remove the form.  I took a few screenshots of the deletion process and uploaded them on https://money.stackexchange.com/a/127458/5656 if anyone else has the same question. Hopefully TurboTax will one day solve this issue... I wonder how many people get screwed by this every year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies