Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

As caregiver to disabled vet for 9 years (recognized and compensated for 2 years), how and for what do I claim (gas? Food? Rent? Etc?)?

I've been full time Caregiver for 10 years, but started getting recognized and paid by VA through a company 2 years ago. I take care of all financial, attend all medical, have full rights to being his PofA, and the list goes on.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

As caregiver to disabled vet for 9 years (recognized and compensated for 2 years), how and for what do I claim (gas? Food? Rent? Etc?)?

You are posting from TurboTax Live.  You can arrange for the Live help you are paying the extra fee for with your questions from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m. Pacific time.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4124827-how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-live

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Do you live with this person?  What are you in relationship to this person?  Are you getting a W-2?  If you are getting a W-2 nothing is deductible on your federal return as employee job related expenses are not deductible.  Some states do however allow expenses. 

If this person is a spouse, family member or companion, you cannot deduct gas food or rent. 

Rent would not be a deductible business expense even if you are self-employed.  The only time rent would be deductible as a business expense would be if you have a home in one location and have a temporary home in an area due to needing to stay in that area temporarily for business. Temporarily would mean less than 12 months tops. Food is not deductible for yourself when you are just working throughout the day.  

Gas, if  you are getting a 1009-NEC would be deductible as a mileage business expense for times you are transporting this person.  

So, what you can deduct, if anything will depend on how you are paid, what your expenses are for and who you are taking care of as well as which state you live in. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies