turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

John Forster
Returning Member

As an Airbnb host that is not the house owner, can I simply report rental income and expenses on Sch. E?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

As an Airbnb host that is not the house owner, can I simply report rental income and expenses on Sch. E?

No, because you can't rent something you don't own.  What is your financial relationship with the owner with regard to you "hosting" the property?

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
John Forster
Returning Member

Hi TomD8,

Thanks for your reply.  I don't have any objections from the homeowner allowing me to be an Airbnb host and renting in effect  the spare bedroom to an Airbnb guest.  Then, I thought I could  use Schedule E to report income and expenses for that activity.

Would using Schedule C, Profit or Loss From Business, be possible for rental real estate activity? Is ownership of the property a prohibiting factor here, too, with its different tax forms. Thanks in advance for any added advice or input - greatly  appreciated.

Cheers, John 

jtax
Level 10

@TomD8 if the OP is a lessor (renter) than he or she "owns" the right to occupy the space rented. No reason (if allowed per the terms of the lease) that they can't rent out part of that space.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

Yes, income from a sublease is rental income, generally reportable on Schedule E.  The IRS says to report it on Schedule C "when you provide substantial services in conjunction with the property or the rental is part of a trade or business as a real estate dealer."

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p527#en_US_2018_publink1000219119

You'll also find the IRS definition of "substantial services" in that IRS reference.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies