turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

4brawner
Returning Member

Are insurance proceeds for loss rental income taxable? I believe they are but I cannot find the appropriate IRS Code section to verify the tax treatment.

The "loss rent" insurance proceeds were received after our rental property was partially destroyed by fire. We received the proceeds for the 10 months of loss rent that was due to the fire.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Fern

Are insurance proceeds for loss rental income taxable? I believe they are but I cannot find the appropriate IRS Code section to verify the tax treatment.

An insurance settlement that replaces income that would be taxable is taxable. This money is subject to the same income and expense deduction rules as your ordinary income would be.
CaptG

How do you report that reimbursement for loss rental income ?
Carl
Level 15

Generally, a Rental Dwelling Insurance Policy includes up to 85% of lost rents for anywhere from the end of the current lease, to 6 months (usually, whichever is less). In my limited knowledge on how the payout is reported, the amout of the payout that is specifically and explicitly for lost rent as I understand it, is reported to you on a 1099-MISC with the amount of lost rent paid reported in box 1. It's reported as rental income as if a paying tenant pay it, because rental income is exactly what it is.
When reporting the insurance payout proceeds for the loss, the monies paid for lost rent is not included in that amount, since it's already reported for the rental income it is.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies