turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-INT & 1099-DIV

I have no reported interest on 1099-INT forms and therefore have entered zero, but my Personal income section shows reported income under "Interest on 1099-INT". I cannot see where that is coming from. Could it be from 1099-DIV?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RayW7
Expert Alumni

1099-INT & 1099-DIV

If you downloaded any forms from a financial institution they may have a 1099-INT included as a summary form. Dividends should only be reported on 1099-DIV... although sometimes interest from a Credit Union will be titled as Dividends.  For tax purposes dividend payments on deposit or share accounts in credit unions must be reported as interest income, according to the IRS.

In order to see where the interest was entered you can go to the forms mode in TurboTax and view your 1099-INT statements.  This will indicate where the interest is coming from.

To switch to Forms Mode, open your return and click the Forms icon in the upper-right corner of your screen (or choose Forms from the View menu at top).

The 1040 Worksheet will display and all the forms in your return will be listed on the left side. Simply select a form to open it.

To switch back to the interview, click the Step-by-Step icon in the upper right corner, or choose it from the View menu.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

1099-INT & 1099-DIV

If you downloaded any forms from a financial institution they may have a 1099-INT included as a summary form. Dividends should only be reported on 1099-DIV... although sometimes interest from a Credit Union will be titled as Dividends.  For tax purposes dividend payments on deposit or share accounts in credit unions must be reported as interest income, according to the IRS.

In order to see where the interest was entered you can go to the forms mode in TurboTax and view your 1099-INT statements.  This will indicate where the interest is coming from.

To switch to Forms Mode, open your return and click the Forms icon in the upper-right corner of your screen (or choose Forms from the View menu at top).

The 1040 Worksheet will display and all the forms in your return will be listed on the left side. Simply select a form to open it.

To switch back to the interview, click the Step-by-Step icon in the upper right corner, or choose it from the View menu.

Pogo3

1099-INT & 1099-DIV

My return has been accepted but I need to amend because I forgot to include a new investment account I opened mid-year. I have not taken any distributions out of the account.  Is my tax liability based on the value added  to the original purchase value  (dividends and interest has remained in the account) or on the total value of the account?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

1099-INT & 1099-DIV

You are taxed only on the added income (interest/dividends).  The original principal you invested was already taxed before you put it in.  You should receive a form 1099 that shows the taxable amounts in box 1.  You will enter that form information into TurboTax each year.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1099-INT & 1099-DIV

Hello, in 2020 i did some stocks trading. I got forms 1099-B from broker.. it shows -negative number.  where to put this if I am filing my personal taxes soon for 2020?  Also, i see 1099-Div form (has $0) and 1099 misc. has $0 too.  help.. do i need to put these in to my taxes?

1099-INT & 1099-DIV

If a section has zero income and no activity to report simply skip those unneeded sections however the stock sales must be reported no matter what the bottom line is on the sales ... in the income section look for the investments section ... form 1099-B. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies