Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099 DIV

I invested in Invesco SteelPath MLP Income A in 2021.  This is all after-tax money of mine.  Last year I received a 1099-DIV with non dividend distributions listed, so I don't believe I paid any taxes.  This year, I received a 1099-DIV with non dividend distributions as well as qualified and ordinary dividends and now I am hit with taxes on it.  I have not taken any distributions.  Why am I being taxed this year on it? And why are there total ordinary dividends and qualified dividends listed when they weren't last year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

1099 DIV

@mmoorefam4 MLPs will distribute both dividends as well as return of capital to their partners, but the dividends are not consistent.  So the amount you see, if you see any at all, will vary year-to-year.  If you're being taxed on a "dividend" when you didn't actually get any cash, recognize that your cost basis will be adjusted accordingly:  just like a non-dividend distribution lowers your basis, a reported item that causes you to pay tax will be added to your basis.

If it helps, this is a link to some of the common Invesco tax questions: https://www.invesco.com/us-rest/contentdetail?contentId=e180d8905b92c610VgnVCM1000006e36b50aRCRD&dns...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Note also, I'm not a Tax Preparer/CPA. Just a volunteer, seasoned, TurboTax user.
Use any advice accordingly!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies