turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How to Raise Your Credit Score

i wouldn't co-sign with anyone for anything!  if they miss a payment or are late, etc. it also reflects on you.  there's a ton of small limit credit cards and even secured cards you can look into.  https://www.comparecards.com/best-credit-card-offers?&source=adwords&campaign=[phone number removed]...

do you have any credit cards where you can put a little activity and pay off each month?  that might help your score go up.

THANK YOU TURBO TAX FOR UPDATED AND ACCURATE INFORMATION.

@ncalb55 wrote:

Don’t ever close a credit card account. It will have a negative effect on your score. 

Just remember to use the cards every once in a while (and pay off!) to make sure the issuers don't cancel them for inactivity. I had a handful close last year for just that reason, including my Barnes & Noble card, which had my longest credit history. I started using my Amazon Prime Visa for everything a while back and hadn't realized it had been over a year for the others until my credit scores started dipping.

Now we are going to buy a new home and want to raise our scores a few more points to move from good to excellent.

I have three major credit cards, and two store cards.  Is it better to close the store cards and keep to one or two of the major cards?  The store cards have no balance at the moment.   I ask because i always thought it was better on your credit score if you the customer closed accounts,  also the less open lines of credit you have the better.  true/false

IMO you have too many accounts. If you dont plan to use those store cards close them. Now why do you have 3 credit cards? Makes more sense to just to keep the credit card with the longest account history (hopefully its your favorite card) and take the biggest credit limit that you can. Now just to be clear, doing all this will hurt your credit in the short term... But its gonna boost you BIG in the long term. Just take a hit for the team for now unless you're planning on a big purchase (house, or house, or did I mention house?) within the next 1-3 years. If thats not the case however. Close them and simplify your life and improve your credit score.

JaylnFulmer
Returning Member

how do i do this am still young and dont want to ruin my credit so young and have te rest of my life

bluesbot

My OWN view- don't worry about it so much! Concentrate on your own Financial health, and not having to RELY on credit so much. I know for SOME, credit is very important.  Once I STOPPED using credit constantly, I finally got my $$ on a firm footing, and for the 1st time, my credit SCORE has never looked so GOOD!  Because I USE it minimally, just for appearances, basically.  But that's ME.   -Al

bluesbot

Good advice.    They (sadly) have too much power over our finances these days.  Be aware!

bluesbot

I got rid of ALL my cards after running up too much debt.  After paying them off, I did without them and took more prudent control of my $$, stopped buying 'stuff', started saving & investing little by little, then got 1 card- and my score is looking OK for the 1st time. 

Experian has me at nearly 100 points higher than turbo tax how awful is that?

Hey man congrats! It’s gotta feel good to finally start working at that credit! I’m just curious cuz I’m currently sitting at like 548 right now...what can I do to get that score number getting higher quickly! That’s a lot hope to hear from you!

SMullen27

What is a credit builder account?

If credit score is near the top, you’re considered a prime customer that institutions are eager to do business with. A high credit score will open up opportunities for 

So how do you raise your credit score? Helper helped me with every page. Im not very smart.

Thank you!

Turbo was helped me. I could have helped with Turbo.

Thank you.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies