turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mag15

Should I enter my 1098-T information for scholarships and expenses if my parents already included that info in their 2016 return?

I am claimed as a dependent on their return.  I'm a full time college student.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Should I enter my 1098-T information for scholarships and expenses if my parents already included that info in their 2016 return?

You would need to go through the motions of entering this information if you have a taxable scholarship (i.e. the scholarship is more than your qualified education expenses).

While a tax credit couldn't go on your tax return, any taxable scholarship income could only go on your tax return. When your parents entered the 1098-T and related information, they would be told if there was a taxable scholarship for your tax return.

If the scholarship is just a fraction of the expenses, then no, there's no point to entering this info.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You would need to go through the motions of entering this information if you have a taxable scholarship (i.e. the scholarship is more than your qualified education expenses).

While a tax credit couldn't go on your tax return, any taxable scholarship income could only go on your tax return. When your parents entered the 1098-T and related information, they would be told if there was a taxable scholarship for your tax return.

If the scholarship is just a fraction of the expenses, then no, there's no point to entering this info.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies