turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

malloxrox

1098-T, Box 2, questions

I paid for my 2015 Spring Semester courses in December of 2014; does this mean that I do not include those charges in the total amount that I paid for my 2015 tuition?

Also, can I add what I paid for my 2016 Spring Semester courses (which began in January, 2016) to the amount that is on my 2015 Tuition Statement (1098-T, Box 2)?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MollieB

1098-T, Box 2, questions

You can only get a credit for education expenses paid in the tax year.  Therefore, your qualified education expense for 2015 would be the expenses you actually paid in 2015.  You would not include the amount paid in Dec. 2014 on your 2015 tax return.  You would include Spring 2016 tuition if you paid it in 2015. 

You will need to adjust the amount on your 1098T to reflect the amount actually paid for the year.  To do this, click on the link titled "What if this is not what I paid to this school" under box 2 on the 1098T screen.  You can enter the amount that was actually paid here. 

jtran281

1098-T, Box 2, questions

so..when I enter the ACTUAL FULL amount I paid to university during the tax year.
Do I enter the FULL tuition & fees ONLY?  
or
enter the tuition & fees..  AND.. room & board ALSO ?  (TOTAL I paid to the school)...
Carl
Level 15

1098-T, Box 2, questions

Schools work in academic years, while the IRS works in calendar years. So the reality is, it takes you 5 calendar years to get that 4 year degree. With that said:

- Scholarships, grants and 529 distributions are claimed/reported in the tax year they are received. It does not matter what year that scholarship, grant or 529 distribution may be *for*.

- Qualified education expenses are claimed/reported in the tax year they are actually paid. It does not matter what year you may have paid *for*.

So technically, you could pay your qualified education expenses for all four years in the first year and be done with it. But that has the potential to hurt you in later years, as you would have maxed out all of your credits for all four years in the first year, if you paid all four years up front.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies