turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son received 1099 MISC Box 3 amount for room & board costs at graduate seminary. Where do I put this amount and is it taxable?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

My son received 1099 MISC Box 3 amount for room & board costs at graduate seminary. Where do I put this amount and is it taxable?

Since he is not a dependent, he will get his full $12K standard deduction, so it's not critical where it gets entered. 

The IRS considers anything in box 7 of 1099-MISC to be self employment income. TurboTax (TT) aggressively steers you in that direction, even when the amount is in box 3.

That said, the key to getting TT to treat it as other income is to follow these steps:

Enter the 1099-Misc

On the next screen Describe what the payment was for 

On the next screen select "none of these apply"

On the next screen select "No it didn't involve work like my main job"

On the next screen select "I got it in 2018" ONLY (Lying to TT to get it to do what you need does not constitute lying to the IRS)

On the next screen select No, it didn't involve intent to earn money

TT will put the amount on line 21 of form 1040 (Schedule 1) as other income

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, it's taxable. Where do you put it is complicated. Is he your dependent? How much is the amount? Does he have other income; how much and what source?

12.7K is the amount.  He is not a dependent, has limited other earned income of 4K - thanks
Hal_Al
Level 15

Since he is not a dependent, he will get his full $12K standard deduction, so it's not critical where it gets entered. 

The IRS considers anything in box 7 of 1099-MISC to be self employment income. TurboTax (TT) aggressively steers you in that direction, even when the amount is in box 3.

That said, the key to getting TT to treat it as other income is to follow these steps:

Enter the 1099-Misc

On the next screen Describe what the payment was for 

On the next screen select "none of these apply"

On the next screen select "No it didn't involve work like my main job"

On the next screen select "I got it in 2018" ONLY (Lying to TT to get it to do what you need does not constitute lying to the IRS)

On the next screen select No, it didn't involve intent to earn money

TT will put the amount on line 21 of form 1040 (Schedule 1) as other income

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies