turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jyd64

In 2017, I began college in the fall. Semester lasted September-late December. However, it seems that 5 months makes full time. Can I qualify as full time?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SandraM

In 2017, I began college in the fall. Semester lasted September-late December. However, it seems that 5 months makes full time. Can I qualify as full time?

Yes, if your 1098-T says that you are at least a half-time student by a check mark in the corresponding box, you are considered a full-time student.

Generally speaking, you are considered as a full time student if you enroll in school for at least five months in 2016. However, each school defines "full time" in its own way (usually in terms of the number of courses or hours). If you are considered as a full time student by your school, you will check YES to the question on the screen. Make sure to check with your school's registrar office to be sure.  See attached screenshot

According to IRS publication 17, you are a full-time student if you are enrolled at a school for the number of hours or classes that the school considers full time. You must be full-time for some part of each of 5 calendar months during the year. (The months need not be consecutive)

For claiming the educational benefit purposes, full time is also equivalent to at least half-time that is if the student was taking at least half the normal full-time work load for his or her course of study. The standard for what is half of the normal full-time work load is also determined by each eligible educational institution.

[Edited 3.11.18|11:59 AM]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SandraM

Yes, if your 1098-T says that you are at least a half-time student by a check mark in the corresponding box, you are considered a full-time student.

Generally speaking, you are considered as a full time student if you enroll in school for at least five months in 2016. However, each school defines "full time" in its own way (usually in terms of the number of courses or hours). If you are considered as a full time student by your school, you will check YES to the question on the screen. Make sure to check with your school's registrar office to be sure.  See attached screenshot

According to IRS publication 17, you are a full-time student if you are enrolled at a school for the number of hours or classes that the school considers full time. You must be full-time for some part of each of 5 calendar months during the year. (The months need not be consecutive)

For claiming the educational benefit purposes, full time is also equivalent to at least half-time that is if the student was taking at least half the normal full-time work load for his or her course of study. The standard for what is half of the normal full-time work load is also determined by each eligible educational institution.

[Edited 3.11.18|11:59 AM]

Manage cookies