Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ancj9418
Returning Member

Why is my Lifetime Learning Credit less than $2000?

I cannot understand why TurboTax is calculating my Lifelong Learning Credit to be only $798. I've read through all the requirements of the credit and I meet everything, with my education expenses (Form 1098-T) being well over $20,000. My income for the year was less than $25,000. Shouldn't my credit be the full $2000?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

The  Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC) is a non-refundable credit. If your tax liability (lines 16- 18 of form 1040) is less than $2000, then that's all you will get. 

Also note that the LLC cannot be used to reduce self employment tax (line 23 of form 1040).

View solution in original post

4 Replies

The Lifetime Learning Credit is not a refundable credit.  It can only reduce your tax owed.   If you do not owe the full $2000 then you get up to your tax liability to reduce your tax owed to zero.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

The  Lifetime Learning Credit (LLC) is a non-refundable credit. If your tax liability (lines 16- 18 of form 1040) is less than $2000, then that's all you will get. 

Also note that the LLC cannot be used to reduce self employment tax (line 23 of form 1040).

ancj9418
Returning Member

Thank you! My tax liability is more than $2000 but there was no indication anywhere that the credit cannot be used to reduce self employment tax. That must be the issue because the majority of my income is from self employment.

self employment tax (which is really payment of medicare and social security tax) is never reduced by other credits.  Only the income tax, which is separate from self-employment tax, can be reduced by tax credits. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies