turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kr5

Where do I take the eligible room and board deduction, which was paid by a 529 savings distribution?

I contributed $6000 to my son's 529 savings during 2017.  At the end of the year, I took a distribution of $6000 for his room and board.  Since this is an eligible expense, where do I take the deduction in TurboTax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

30 Replies

Where do I take the eligible room and board deduction, which was paid by a 529 savings distribution?

You can enter Room and Board expenses in the Education (Form 1098-T) section of TurboTax.

In the education section, under Here's Your Education Summary, scroll down to Other Education Expenses (for all schools).  Click Edit.  See screenshot attached at the bottom left.

See the TurboTax FAQs below for steps on entering Forms 1099-Q and 1098-T.  Click "See entire answer" for the full page views.

There is NO PLACE to enter Room & Board.  Turbotax is so frustrating!!!

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Room and board are not considered deductible expenses, UNLESS the room and board was paid for with a Coverdell ESA or 529 plan distribution.  In that case, the cost can be deducted from the taxable portion of the distribution.  This is your situation.

First enter the education expenses in the 1098-T section following these steps:

1. In your return, click on Federal > Deductions.
  2. In the Education section, click Start/Revisit next to Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T).
  3. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information. 
  4. Room and Board are entered on the screen, Did [XX] Pay for Books or Materials to attend school.  [See screenshot below.]

Next enter your 1099-Q:

1. On the Deductions & Credits screen, scroll to the Education section.
  2. Click the Start box next to ESA and 529 qualified tuition programs (Form 1099-Q).
  3. On the screen, Tell us about your education plans, mark the YES radio button next to Did you receive a 1099-Q...
  4. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.
  5. Since you entered room and board expenses in the 1098-T section, you should see the screen that your 1099-Q is not taxable!

@Amy278

Hal_Al
Level 15

Note the "trick".  You have to answer yes to the did you buy books question to get the box to enter room & board. Yes, frustrating!

Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records.

My screen doesn’t have most of the line items shown on your screen. 

80AB4A52-5915-4BFD-A895-7056A0C32AC5.png

I’ve finally figured it out!  You have to enter the 1099-Q information first, in order to get the room & board line to appear on the expenses. 

DTMT
Level 1

My Turbotax Deluxe 2020 has the screen you show, but it stops after the book and materials, required and not required steps. It does not have the room and board line.

I have tried everything, but there doesn't seem to be a chance to input expenses for which the CESA distribution has been used, like room and board, internet charges, etc.

DTMT
Level 1

Did you ever find where to input room and board?

DTMT
Level 1

will either the required or not required books "yes" work?

I have checked the Not required and I still don't get the chance to input room and board.

Hal_Al
Level 15

TurboTax will not give you the room and board entry screen/box until you enter the 1099-Q and complete the 529 distribution interview.  Room & board (and other 529 qualified expenses) entry box will be on the same screen as books.

DTMT
Level 1

I have entered my 1099Q already.

I used a CESA (Coverdell savings) distribution to pay the room and board.

I did not get to a page in Turbotax that lists room and board.

what am I doing wrong?

DTMT
Level 1

@Amy278 I tried this, it still doesn't work??

Hal_Al
Level 15

@DTMT 

You may have to delete the education info and start over, starting with the 1099-q.

Using desktop (not online) Deluxe, I was able to get the R&B screen even though I added the 1099-Q last.

DTMT
Level 1

@Hal al maybe that's the issue. my version is downloaded, online.

Seems it should be the same. 

I have deleted and re-entered twice, it still doesn't come up on that screen.

Is there a way to chat with Turbotax and ask them?

I'm at wits end.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies