turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm a student on a full athletic scholarship in another state. Have a 1098-T. Where do I claim this on my return? Do I own state taxes even though my home state is FL

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
HelenaC

I'm a student on a full athletic scholarship in another state. Have a 1098-T. Where do I claim this on my return? Do I own state taxes even though my home state is FL

What state is the scholarship from?
Hal_Al
Level 15

I thought he said KY, but I don't see it now. But it doesn't matter. The state is something other than FL, and apparently a state with an income tax.
HelenaC

No, you would not owe state income tax to Florida because  Florida does not have an individual state income tax.

If the scholarships/grants exceed your qualified education expenses, then you will report the 1098-Tuition and all other educational expenses and scholarships/grants on your income tax return.

To enter your 1098-T statement:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4194409

Your scholarship is taxed if it was used to cover any of the following:

• Room and board
• Travel
• Research
• Clerical help
• Fees, Books, Supplies and Equipment (Not required for the course or attendance)

If your award covered both tuition and room and board, the amount you use for tuition is tax-free. However, the amount you used for room and board is taxable. Remember, if you need to make this adjustment, you may have to adjust other parts of your return as well.

However, if your earned income, when added to the excess scholarships/grants does NOT exceed $6,300, then you don't need to file a tax return, and nothing has to be reported.

Related information:

Hal_Al
Level 15

I think his real question is: is this scholarship income KY source income?

I'm of the opinion that  it is not; no more than dividends paid by Chase Bank is NY income. Scholarship is not earned income.
He does not need to file a KY return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies