Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

padropjs

My parents claimed the american opportunity credit for the past 4 years. I am now filing independently, and I don't think I'm allowed to claim it again, but TurboTax won't let me NOT claim it. Advice?

Parents declared me as a dependent and claimed this credit 12',13',14', and 15'. I finished school spring of '16 but my parent's can't declare me as a dependent for '16 because I got a job and supported >50% of my own expenses that year.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

My parents claimed the american opportunity credit for the past 4 years. I am now filing independently, and I don't think I'm allowed to claim it again, but TurboTax won't let me NOT claim it. Advice?

You are correct - you should not be allowed to claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC), because the credit is "per student". When going through the Education section, you should be asked if you have claimed AOTC in prior years... be sure to indicate that you did in fact claimed AOTC and enter  "4" when asked for home many years... this should disallow the credit.. you may still be able to qualify for Lifetime Learning credit or Tuition and Fees deduction, but not for AOTC.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

You are correct - you should not be allowed to claim the American Opportunity Tax Credit (AOTC), because the credit is "per student". When going through the Education section, you should be asked if you have claimed AOTC in prior years... be sure to indicate that you did in fact claimed AOTC and enter  "4" when asked for home many years... this should disallow the credit.. you may still be able to qualify for Lifetime Learning credit or Tuition and Fees deduction, but not for AOTC.

padropjs

@TurboTaxMargaretL Great thanks for the quick response! Am I able to just amend my Federal return, or must I refile state as well?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies