Turbotax won't let me enter my 1098-t for my daughter (dependent)

If you want to learn more about the 1098-T and how to enter it, see the article below:

It's ironic that this article doesn't answer the actual question in the title.  I am sitting here looking at a page on your site that has $0 for tuition with no explanation, and no ability to change it.  I *know* I can deduct it.  Generally, I use TurboTax for ease of filing and not advice.  Your "help" is driving me to another solution for the first time in 12 years.

I'm having this same problem. Also considering using a different solution after 8 years using TurboTax.

were you able to find a solution? the same thing is happening to me - tuition is listed as $0 but it's not letting me adjust it

Underneath box 1   In the 1098-T screen, click on the link "What if this is not what I paid the school" under box 1. You will then be able to enter your actual amounts. This is the amount that TT will used to calculate your credit or deduction. 

2018 workaround for box 2

For 2018, box 2. on a 1098-T, is no longer an option for reporting on Form 1098-T.  If you have received a Form 1098-T with box 2 amounts instead of box 1, then your school has either not filed the forms correctly or they are using an outdated system of reporting.

You should seek a corrected Form 1098-T that reports box 1 expenses paid.  If you can’t get a corrected form (and you probably can't), then select the blue link for “What if this is not what I paid to this school” on the Form 1098-T page and enter your expenses based on your school records.

You need to enter at least $1 in box 1 (you cannot leave it blank). You can then use the blue hyperlink to override the amount.  That amount then gets used on Form 8863 for the Tuition credit calculation. 

***THE*** most common reason for this is because *you* told the TurboTax program that the student did *NOT* live with you for "the whole year". Read the small print on the screen that asks how many months the student lived in your household, then select "the whole year".

The SECOND most common reason is because you answered the support question wrong. That question gets answer wrong, because the reader may have read the question, but did not "correctly" comprehend it. The question is asking if the ***STUDENT*** provided more than half of *THEIR OWN* support. You have to answer that question NO. Many people incorrectly comprehend that question as asking if the parent provided more than half of the student's support, and then incorrectly answer that question YES.

So if you made either one of the above two possible mistakes, you basically told the program that *you* do not qualify to claim *any* education credits or deductions for your dependent student.