turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

awhalen

Turbotax won't let me enter my 1098-t for my daughter (dependent)

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

To enter your Form 1098-T information (even when TurboTax thinks it has already been entered and is showing $0), go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

To go directly to the Education section of your return, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

50 Replies
AmyW

If you want to learn more about the 1098-T and how to enter it, see the article below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4194409

It's ironic that this article doesn't answer the actual question in the title.  I am sitting here looking at a page on your site that has $0 for tuition with no explanation, and no ability to change it.  I *know* I can deduct it.  Generally, I use TurboTax for ease of filing and not advice.  Your "help" is driving me to another solution for the first time in 12 years.
eh31426

I'm having this same problem. Also considering using a different solution after 8 years using TurboTax.
rg45

were you able to find a solution? the same thing is happening to me - tuition is listed as $0 but it's not letting me adjust it

Hal_Al
Level 15

Underneath box 1   In the 1098-T screen, click on the link "What if this is not what I paid the school" under box 1. You will then be able to enter your actual amounts. This is the amount that TT will used to calculate your credit or deduction. 

2018 workaround for box 2

For 2018, box 2. on a 1098-T, is no longer an option for reporting on Form 1098-T.  If you have received a Form 1098-T with box 2 amounts instead of box 1, then your school has either not filed the forms correctly or they are using an outdated system of reporting.

You should seek a corrected Form 1098-T that reports box 1 expenses paid.  If you can’t get a corrected form (and you probably can't), then select the blue link for “What if this is not what I paid to this school” on the Form 1098-T page and enter your expenses based on your school records.

You need to enter at least $1 in box 1 (you cannot leave it blank). You can then use the blue hyperlink to override the amount.  That amount then gets used on Form 8863 for the Tuition credit calculation. 

Carl
Level 15

***THE*** most common reason for this is because *you* told the TurboTax program that the student did *NOT* live with you for "the whole year". Read the small print on the screen that asks how many months the student lived in your household, then select "the whole year".

The SECOND most common reason is because you answered the support question wrong. That question gets answer wrong, because the reader may have read the question, but did not "correctly" comprehend it. The question is asking if the ***STUDENT*** provided more than half of *THEIR OWN* support. You have to answer that question NO. Many people incorrectly comprehend that question as asking if the parent provided more than half of the student's support, and then incorrectly answer that question YES.

So if you made either one of the above two possible mistakes, you basically told the program that *you* do not qualify to claim *any* education credits or deductions for your dependent student.

Luggnutts

I figured it out, in case you haven't yet. I had my information in from the previous year and it wouldn't let me edit my tuition amount, setting it at "0" also. I deleted all the information for the school part and just started new and it let me enter my 1098-T. Try doing this and you should be able to enter all the information on the 1098-T.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

If you see 1098-T information from last year on the return and the amount of $0 by default, please proceed through the education section, answering all of the additional questions.  On the Education Summary screen at the end of the section, you should see the option to Edit your Form 1098-T.

The previous answers are wrong. You need to go to Forms, locate 1098T from left hand column, and manually enter the info there. Once you do that, you can proceed and it will show the correct tuition amount. 

In reply to Carl’s comment above... Your answer is wrong on all accounts. I had *all* that info correct and it *still* showed $0 for tuition with no way to change it.  I had to manually enter the information under Forms. 

A_kami91

I'm having the same issue. Apparently TurboTax employees don't know that a lot of people are having the same problem. They are just repeating themselves how to add the 1098T. There is a BUG in the software.

I've been using TurboTax for eight years, and this is the first I encountered a problem.

At least this is popping up for everyone else.. it wont even generate a way to let me enter it... AT ALL. it takes me to it then asks for household income.. and my filing status as well as dependents... instead of anyway to enter it. 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

To enter your Form 1098-T information (even when TurboTax thinks it has already been entered and is showing $0), go through the entire education expenses section of your return until you reach the screen titled “Your Education Expenses Summary”, then follow these steps:

• Click Edit next to the student name.
  • On the screen titled “Here’s your Education Summary”, click Edit beside Tuition.
  • Enter the information from your Form 1098-T.

To go directly to the Education section of your return, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “education” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to education
  • Click on the blue “Jump to education” link

ANNETTE YOU ARE A GODSEND -- FINALLY someone who knows wtf they are talking about. THANK YOU so much.

Everyone, listen to Annette. You have to go into the "edit student" page to add 1098-T tuition. 

Yes!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies