turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

prowrite4

Turbo Tax did not allow me to enter 1098T information and I believe I should get education tax credits. How do I file an amended return and request a filing refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Turbo Tax did not allow me to enter 1098T information and I believe I should get education tax credits. How do I file an amended return and request a filing refund?

The Education expenses can be entered at any time.  Since the tax return was completed, filed and accepted by the IRS there can be no refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

To enter, edit or delete Education Expenses -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
Click on Deductions and Credits
Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
Scroll down to Education
On Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T), click on the start or update button

Hal_Al
Level 15

There's a new urban myth among college students that says they can get a $1000 from the government just for filing a tax form. For most of them, they simply aren't eligible. A full time unmarried student, under age 24, even if you don't qualify as a dependent, is only eligible for the refundable portion of the American Opportunity Credit if he supports himself by working. You cannot be supporting yourself on parental support, 529 plans or student loans & grants. It is usually best if the parent claims that credit. 

You cannot claim a credit if you are, or can be, claimed as a dependent by someone else.

Reference: Line 7 instructions for form 8863. https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8863

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies