Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Coverdell ESA Excess Contributions

Hi Community,

I just recently found out that I my 2021 AGI fell in the “phase-out” contribution category for two Coverdell accounts that I have for my children, but I had contributed the full $2000 at the time to each. One account was opened in 2016 and another in 2019, but I have not taken distributions for education expenses from either. 

1) Where and how in the 2021 return is this amended?

2) Do I request Returns of Excess from the investment company for these 2021 contributions to avoid future penalty?

As an aside if it matters, I removed the 2022 contributions a few weeks ago from each account, so there should be nothing that I need to do in Turbotax for 2022, correct?

Just trying to do the right thing here - thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You do not need to amend your 2021 tax returns.  Additional income and penalties must be reported by the beneficiaries.  You should request a distribution of the excess contributions and the associated earnings (if any). 

Excess contributions to a Coverdell ESA that are are not removed in a timely manner are subject to a 6% excise tax for each year the excess remains in the account at the close of the tax year (December 31).  The penalty tax is imposed on the designated beneficiary, and is reported and paid to the IRS on IRS Form 5329. 

Timely correction. The 6% excise tax can be avoided by withdrawing the excess contribution, and all earnings attributable to it by May 31 of the year following the tax year of the contribution.  No extensions apply.  The excess amount removed is not included in the designated beneficiary’s gross income, however, any earnings attributable to the excess are taxable to the designated beneficiary (but not subject to the 10% penalty, in the year in which the excess contribution is made.

If an excess contribution situation is not corrected timely (see above) it can be corrected at a later date; however, correcting the excess later may result in additional taxes and
penalties. 

To correct an excess contribution in a later year:

If the excess contribution is withdrawn after the May 31 deadline described above, and the earnings on the excess are not withdrawn, then the excess contribution is included in the designated beneficiary’s gross income in the year of the distribution.  (The taxable amount is prorated if the funds are used to pay qualified expenses.)  The taxable portion of the distribution is subject to a 10% penalty tax. In addition, the excess amount is subject to the 6% excess contribution excise tax for each year the excess remains in the account after December 31.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you kindly!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies