turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where to report 529 contributions?

I contributed $2,400 in 2016 to my son's IL 529 (bright start advisor) where do I report the amount?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
JohnR1

To enter your Illinois 529 Plan contributions for your son's education in TurboTax, please follow these steps:

• In your return, select State Taxes tab
  • Proceed through the state interview section for Illinois, answering all questions on residency and income, until you arrive at a page entitled "Here's the income that Illinois handles differently"
  • Under Education, click on Start button for "College savings and prepaid tuition plan contributions"
  • On next page, "College Savings and Prepaid Tuition Plans", enter your 2016 529 plan contribution amount in the box for "Bright Start College Savings Pool" and click on Continue button
  • Finish the rest of the interview questions for Illinois

I have a cx who is getting an error on the " College Savings Acct No" system saying acct number should not contain a letter, but the correct account number contains a letter. It did not work deleting it or deleting the state and starting it again. any ideas?

HopeS
Expert Alumni

The 529 plan contribution is non-deductible on your federal income tax return. Most states offer an income-tax deduction for contributions, but each state also has different rules about who can take the deduction for their contributions.

Illinois taxpayers can deduct contributions made to Illinois 529 plans up to:$10,000 per individual taxpayer and $20,000 for a married couple filing jointly  To be deductible for a calendar year you must make the contribution before the end of that given calendar year.

Once you delete the Form 529 section of the return, then try clearing Cache before following the steps below:

How to Clear Cache

• Select the State Taxes tab
  • Proceed through the state interview section for Illinois, answering all questions on residency and income, until you get to at page "Here's the income that Illinois handles differently". See the screenshot below.
  • Under Education, click on Start for "College savings and prepaid tuition plan contributions"
  • On the next page, "College Savings and Prepaid Tuition Plans", enter your 2020 529 plan contribution amount in the box for "Bright Start College Savings Pool", If the contribution is a gift, check the box, and click on Continue.

@dgarciacabr 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mari325

Hello, I'm having trouble with 529 contributions.  I don't get the option anywhere in my turbo tax illinois tax form. I tried restarting and going through the steps you recommended but turbo tax never gets me to the screen "here's how your state does tax differently". please help.  thank you

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

This is the screen just before the Here's the income that Illinois handles differently screen.  
Is this an Illinois Resident return?

Have you tried clearing your cache?

If you are using Turbo Tax Online, the most likely reason for buttons that don't work or not being able to enter information is that something in the web browser is not displaying the page properly.  This TurboTax Help article has directions for clearing your cache. 
Or you can simply use a different web browser.  You can select from Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Safari.  If you need to install another browser, be sure to go to the trusted home site for the software for security reasons.

If you are using the Turbo Tax Phone App, then try opening Turbo Tax in the browser window on your phone. It will use the same login information but may display the page better. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies