turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Per diem for truck drivers

how do I estimate the amount and where do I claim on taxes
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

26 Replies
jimrupp7

My husband is a construction worker, he is not home 4 days a week for 8 months a year, how much and where can he use this as a deduction on turbotax?

what is the per diem rate for 2017 for DOT

As a Truck Driver you can use Turbo Tax Deluxe. Under the employment Expenses tab there is a Job-Related Expenses screen. You need to enter yes to being a transportation worker. It will have a field having something to do with meals and transportation rules. in this field you enter your expense by doing the following---

You count your log book days out and multiply by $63 per day [2018] in the USA and enter this number. If your company pays Per Diem you then need to subtract what they paid from the rate you are entitled to for the year and enter this new number instead.

The software will do all the other math for you.

roniedee

The $59 per day is only good on days that you spend the entire 24 hrs away from your home. Any days that you leave home to go out or days that you return home from the road, you get only 75% of the $59 ($59 times .75 = $44.25).

HOW MANY HOURS AWAY FROM THE HOUSE COMING OR GOING DO YOU HAVE TO BE AWAY IN ORDER FOR THE 75% TO APPLY?

Over 12, but less than 24 hours = partial credit ...
roniedee

The tax code reads that you must be consistent with you application of partial days. If you are constantly getting off Friday at 23:00 you can use... 23 divided by 24, times $59.00 to get the per diem. but on days that you get off at different hours you have to adjust the formula . So days that you get off at 03:00 you would use 3/24 x $59.00.  OR you can use 75%  each and every time no mater the part of the day... as long as you use whichever formula consistently for the whole year.

It is simpler to use the .75 and probably to your advantage unless you consistently get off at 23:00 on Friday - then  the percent of day would be to your advantage. I'll use the .75 as it is easier.
roniedee

This is for over the road drivers only. Sorry local drivers, if you get home every night, you can't deduct any meal expenses - just like a factory worker can't deduct his lunch on taxes.

ronie, very helpful, thanks.
meme470

According to publication 463 over the road truckers can claim $63 a day and instead of the 50% it is 80%. The publication reads as follows: Special rate for transportation workers.    You can use a special standard meal allowance if you work in the transportation industry. You are in the transportation industry if your work:

•Directly involves moving people or goods by airplane, barge, bus, ship, train, or truck, and

•Regularly requires you to travel away from home and, during any single trip, usually involves travel to areas eligible for different standard meal allowance rates.

If this applies, you can claim a standard meal allowance of $63 a day ($68 for travel outside the continental United States) for travel in 2016.
  Using the special rate for transportation workers eliminates the need for you to determine the standard meal allowance for every area where you stop for sleep or rest. If you choose to use the special rate for any trip, you must use the special rate (and not use the regular standard meal allowance rates) for all trips you take that year.
roniedee

Thanks meme470 I didn't know they raised the per deim
zena3546
Returning Member

so where do you get the 80% ? i see nothing for that. OTR long haul truck driver
roniedee

After you figure your total per diem, you put that amount in the Turbo Tax expense form. Turbo Tax will change the total to the 80% I think. It is federal law that allows a percent of the total per deim amount.
zena3546
Returning Member

well i went into turbo tax..had to search for job search,employee to enter truck driver and transportation...i hope it did it but i think it only gave 50%... it does not tell you.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies