turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yords4

Qualifying dependent - full time student

I have a full time college student who earned $4,300  from a part-time job during 2015 and lived at home for 3 months during the year.  I've paid more than 50% of his support during 2015.  Can he be considered a qualified dependent on my tax return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

27 Replies
Donga1

Student earned $6000; what then?
Carl
Level 15

Read what I posted previously. There is NO income limit what-so-ever on the student, and there is NO support requirement on the parent. The student can earn a million dollars, and so long as the STUDENT did NOT provide MORE than 50% of their OWN support, the parent qualifies to claim them. There is no requirement for the parent to provide one single penny of support.
Donga1

How do I bypass the $4000 requirement? If I answer yes, my daughter is disqualified and I can't claim her or the education deductions.  If I answer no, even though she did, she qualifies, but I just lied to get the deduction.
Carl
Level 15

You answered something wrong if you're being asked about income on a dependent student under the age of 24 on dec 31 of the tax year. I suggest you go back to the Personal Info section and completely delete her from the Dependents section, and then reenter her information anew. But this time, read each screen slowly, carefully, and completely. (the notes in small print *do* matter). Then go back to the education section and try again.
The question I suspect you're answering wrong is asking if your daughter provided more than 50% of her support. It's not asking if YOU did.
Donga1

Thanks! I was thinking of doing that because it makes no sense.
Donga1

My error was in the amount of time she lived with us in the year.  Being away for school as a full time student is considered a "temporary absence"; therefore I can say she lived with me all year.  Once this was corrected, her income did not factor in.  Thanks for the assistance!

I went back and deleted it my daughter and added her again and I am still getting that she is not eligible as a dependent.  I have put that she lived with us for 5 months and that no she did not pay for half of her expenses and she only made $4090 last year.  Why is it still saying that she is not eligible as a dependent on our taxes
Donga1

If your daughter is a college student (at least half time) and is away from home, that is considered a "temporary absence", which is a valid reason to live away from home,  and can be counted as living at home all year.  Instead of stating she lived with you 5 months,  select all year.  This will bypass the question of how much she earned. Click on the help link on the "living with you" question and it'll explain what the valid reason for living away from home are.
Carl
Level 15

Spot on. The "learn more" link does state to consider time spent away at school, as having lived with you.
jlelmer

WOW, thank you for your response! I followed this thread and found that I have missed the same thing for the past 2 years. I went from owing over $1300.  in taxes to getting a refund this year of almost $2000.  I now will go back and amend my 2013 and 2014 taxes!!! What a relief!
dddunn

Still confused.  My child is a full time student but has his own apt.  He has a job and makes more than 4000 but we paid for his school.  He was 22 ar the end of 2015.   TT is saying he is not eligible dependent

If he is living in an apartment while away at school and his permanent address is still with you, then this is considered a temporary absence and you can add his temporary absence to the time he lived with you. If he has permanently moved out of your home and no longer lives there at all, then you can no longer claim him as a dependent.
Carl
Level 15

How much the student earned is irrelevant. he can earn a million dollars and still qualify as your dependent. The student's earnings do NOT in any way, form or fashion figure into this equation.
Most likely, you answered the support question wrong by selecting YES.
The question is asking if the STUDENT provided more than 50% of THE STUDENT'S OWN SUPPORT. So if you answered that question YES, then you do not qualify to claim the student as a dependent at all.
rebamae76

My daughter is single and age 56 but a full time nursing student...can I use her as a dependent
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies