Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can my tax refund be taken If I called the Offset hotline and it says NO offsets but I do owe on my student loans?

Yes mine says that

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can my tax refund be taken If I called the Offset hotline and it says NO offsets but I do owe on my student loans?

I was on a payment plan but not for too long. I was unemployed and get benefits. I told em I didn't have a job. They did a $5 payment plan that I got on I got my paper saying I'm on the payment plan

Dashonna if you are still currently on the payment plan, that means your student loans are still in default in which still allow them to take your refund. Until you are out of default, then you should be good. If you get unemployment benefits then you might be able to file for hardship. It just depends who the dept of education gave your loan too. If it’s a collection agency then unfortunately you will not be able to get your refund back because they don’t have a hardship program. So sorry but just continue to make your payments, 2020 will be here in no time

The irs WMR has the expected amount and the adjusted amount on the left hand side. That will let you know 100% if you will get anything at all

Gotta love the government and their sneaky ways.

So my assumption is that they’re swooping in and collecting all of our defaulted student loans to pay for that wall.  You figure with the government shut down they wouldn’t be applying all of these fucking offsets.. And doesn’t seem strange to anyone else that its specifically related to student loans  and not any other kind of personal loan, unpaid taxes, child-support...

my taxes owed were taken but i did get the remainder of my refund.. it was a small amount owed.
however. i did become defaulted on my student loans in november..now that i am back in my feet financially wise.. i am going to try n get on a payment plan, but should i assume they will take my refund next year???

@riafit from what I’m being told if you are out of default & are paying each month or on forbearance or deferment they SHOULDNT take your refund next year but now I can’t be 100% sure because they took my boyfriends whole return even though he is not in default. I think they took it for the wall now that someone brought it up lol because it hasn’t shown up under my payment history for my student loans yet... but I’ll give it some time to show up there.

So the reason it happened in mass this year is because they sold various portions of their debt to a number of different collection agencies that can now legally collect on that debt by various forms of force LOL they have to sell it before it becomes to old and uncollectable because somehow once the debt is sold, for a lesser amount, to a different company, that they own I'm sure LOL it kinda legally resets, therefore remaining active.. The last second notices are being referred to as revenge for not being current on the debt in question, which seems rather petty, but everybody will find a way to make things work and in 12 months once we've all became atleast actively current on said matters, we'll have had the chance to laugh as petty as we want LOL they know we all need that money and would have gladly even paid half of it to them and the same message would have been achieved but I mean it is the government we're talking about here LOL good luck everybody.. Myself, I'm waiting for the 7th to be able to file the injured spouse form and will update everyone on that process as it plays out..

I had the same problem. The only option that was given to me was to get my loans out of default thru the collection agency (national recovery) who my loans were transferred to. I was told after the 5th qualifying payment in the rehabilitation program (offset wasn't taken off with IRS until the day of my 6th monthly payment) that i would be able to file and not have them taken. I started in December, made a double payment in January and now i'm on my 6th payment in April. I filed my taxes yesterday but waited until my information was updated with the debt collector, Department of Education and the IRS. I hated waiting but i'm in better standing with my loans and i can file w/out my taxes being taken. I have 3 more months until I'm out of default. I hope this helped.

UPDATE!!! I received the letter saying they needed more information and put a 60 day holdon it. Well I just stopped checking because I was expecting to receive it sometime in May. Well I woke up to see a DDD for TODAY!! I checked my account and IT WAS THERE!!! THANK GOD it FINALLY came!!!

After getting in the Rehabilitation program and making 5 payments - the offset was cleared. The IRS "Where is my refund" status was showing topic 203 BUT it showed i was due deposit for today May 1. I woke up to the funds in my account this morning on time. Yes!!! Good luck to anyone who's still wondering.

@smouzon6039  I did that program too but I still have not file yet because I was told wait ten days after the 5th payment to be taken off the Treasury offset .....I hope my outcome is as good as yours !

@gilbert8510 same here. My 5th rehabilitation payment was made on May 8. The offset line still says I have an offset, although DOE says I’m good. I don’t want to file until I call and don’t hear I have an offset. It’s been almost a month and now 6 payments

@yolandawilliams I just called and it says there is no offset however I am still nervous about filling!!! This has been a long process of waiting
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies