Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can my tax refund be taken If I called the Offset hotline and it says NO offsets but I do owe on my student loans?

look at the not so bright side, you've paid some interest on your student loan.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can my tax refund be taken If I called the Offset hotline and it says NO offsets but I do owe on my student loans?

Still waiting.... nothing on WMR and still haven't received a letter about an offset. No Topic 203 just topic 152 still!!! I'll be calling Monday to see what's going on

My boyfriend didn’t have the topic 203 at first and he called and it told him no offsets. Well he was supposed to get his 2/27 but it never came. He looked on the irs website this morning and it said his refund has been applied to a past due obligation and too look for a notice within 2 weeks from the BFS. It also has his expected refund amount then below that it has his adjusted refund at 0. It kind of seems shady that it had no indication until it was sent. Good luck everyone else see you all next year.

Yeah not saying anything ahead of time is definitely ridiculous.. they know people are counting on that money and it wouldn't be as gratifying if they told you one second sooner than the second it's expected to deposit lmao everybody make sure they are also checking option #2 when they call the offset lookup number.. and we all might as well just pay 5 bucks a pay on our student loans because they're never getting all of it unless your in default every year at tax time and even then if might cover that years interest smh the system is definitely set up for failure!

Yeah WMR updated for me to and said they took it all.??? Oh well better luck next year.

@ronburkhammer I feel the same way but my boyfriend is not in default. And I was in default last year but got my return so I think it’s kind of like a game of Russian roulette. I will make sure I stay on top of my payments. I’m taking this as a lesson learned.

& hopefully this will raise our credit scores

Not unless it pays it off but I've told her all year to make them darn payments and she puts it off like we don't really need our taxes or something lol I mean a few hundred in payments split up throughout the year is kinda worth assuring you receive a few thousand in February but I just pay the bills around here, what do I know

Lol maybe she will listen now or maybe she has to learn the hard way. It’s better than having your check garnished on top of it all as well.

I’ve still been calling the # and no change just the OK TAX which I talked about earlier up in this post, and my WMR hasn’t changed from that post either, also no letter yet so I’m not sure where to look or call to see what’s happened, when I log into turbo tax it still says processing doesn’t even match with the WMR... ugh the unknowing

@dashonna.thomas
Does it say this on WMR
Your refund has been applied to a past due obligation such as child support, another federal agency debt, or state income tax. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS), who issues IRS refunds, will send you a notice informing you of the reduction.   If you do not receive the notice within two weeks contact the Bureau of the Fiscal Service   

Please read the following information related to your tax situation:
Tax Topic 203, Refund Offsets for unpaid child support and certain federal, state, and unemployment compensation debts

DOES THIS MEAN ITS ALL GONE!
cause I’ve called numbers and it says I have no debt I’m confused and freaking out

@dashonna.thomas
Does it say this on WMR
Your refund has been applied to a past due obligation such as child support, another federal agency debt, or state income tax. The Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS), who issues IRS refunds, will send you a notice informing you of the reduction.   If you do not receive the notice within two weeks contact the Bureau of the Fiscal Service   

Tax Topic 203, Refund Offsets for unpaid child support and certain federal, state, and unemployment compensation debts

DOES THIS MEAN ITS ALL GONE!
cause I’ve called numbers and it says I have no debt I’m confused and freaking out

YES, that means they took all of the money! Normally if it was some it’ll say it!

Your refund was sent to your bank on February 27, 2019 for direct deposit.
If your refund is not credited to your account by March 4, 2019, check with your bank to find out if it has been received.

Please Note:
Your refund may be reduced to pay a past due obligation such as child support, another federal agency debt, or state income tax. If this applies to you, the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS), who issues IRS refunds, will send you a notice informing you of any offset they have made. The details of the debt are not provided to the IRS. Please do not call us to inquire about the details because we will not be able to answer your questions. Instead, direct any questions you have about the offset or debt to the agency identified on the notice.

This is what mine has said since the 25th and I check it everyday and still calling the # checking option 1 & 2 and still just the OK TAX ......still no letter and nothing in the bank.....

Darn, ok ....
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies