turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Skip American Opportunity Credit?

We took the American Opportunity Credit for my son for 2018 & 19.  Only attended part time in 2020, looking at two more years to finish. The credit is significantly less than the last two years. I believe we can skip it for this year. However, when I enter the info in Turbo Tax it tells me the AOC credit is the best one for me. I do not see a way to choose not to take it for this year.  Is there any way to do that, short of just removing all the information for that section?  Thanks.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Type letme (no space between let & me) in the search box. When the dropdown list appears, click on letme rather than "jump to letme'. On the next drop down, click on the "jump to letme” link.

TT will give you the option to select another tuition  credit or deduction. The Lifetime Learning credit is usually the next choice.  You can change it back and try the other, to compare the results.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

Type letme (no space between let & me) in the search box. When the dropdown list appears, click on letme rather than "jump to letme'. On the next drop down, click on the "jump to letme” link.

TT will give you the option to select another tuition  credit or deduction. The Lifetime Learning credit is usually the next choice.  You can change it back and try the other, to compare the results.

How is this done in the desktop version of TurboTax?

I use TurboTax online so I can't say if it is any different in the desktop version. 

For me I just basically did what the previous post said.  I was in the "Expenses and Scholarships" section,  on the screen that says 

"Next, We'll See Which Deduction or Credit Will Save You the Most"

I typed “letme” in the search box. I did click on the “Jump to letme” link

It came up to a screen that looked like this:

Education Credits and Deduction

Do you want to change the education calculations?

Clicked continue

The next screen had a message:

"Income and deductions you enter can impact your education deduction and credits.

On the next screen, choose between the American opportunity credit, lifetime learning credit and the tuition and feees deduction for each student. Then we'll show you the result of your selections".

Clicked continue

ON the next screen it showed the three credits/deductions.  For Lifetime Learning Credit and Tuition and Fees Deduction  it had “n/a”.  For the AOC it had a checkbox that I was able to unselect.  

Then I hit continue and it did seem to save that setting.  

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Please switch from Forms to Step-by-Step (top right corner) on the TurboTax Desktop screen. 

The search option will appear. Click the magnifying glass to open the search-box. 

Type   letme  into the search-box and then click the "Jump to  letme " link. 

@Wanderer

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies