turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

suels

Says I can't file without form 8863 education credits because it is not yet available... however, i am not claiming education credits so why is this needed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ToddL

Says I can't file without form 8863 education credits because it is not yet available... however, i am not claiming education credits so why is this needed?

Did you claim any education tax credits last year?

I can't file either; I claimed them last year.
maglib
Level 11

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4172950">https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4172950</a>
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
ToddL

If you are claiming education credits this year, see the comment from @maglib SuperUser, above, for a link to additional information.

If you aren't claiming any education credits this year but are getting the "Can't file without Form 8863 ..." error message, it means you have a Form 8863 that transferred over from your 2016 return. The program does this to make sure you don't forget to claim a deduction, credit or income that you had in past years and may have again.

You will have to delete Form 8863 and any associated forms & worksheets that carried over from your 2016 tax file.

See: How do I delete forms in TurboTax Online?

After deleting these worksheets and statements, log out of the program. When you log back in, use the Delete a Form tool (List of Forms in My Return) to confirm Form 8863 and any associated worksheets have been removed from the list of forms in your return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies