turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RES2
Level 1

why is my amount owed increasing when I use early retirement fund withdrawal for educational purposes? I thought there was no penalty for this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

why is my amount owed increasing when I use early retirement fund withdrawal for educational purposes? I thought there was no penalty for this?

The 10% early withdrawal penalty* is waived when you use an IRA for  higher education.  Burt, the tax is still due.  So, that would explain the amount you owe increasing when you enter the 1099-R.

*The penalty exception is for IRAs only and does not apply to a 401k or other types of retirement plans. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

The 10% early withdrawal penalty* is waived when you use an IRA for  higher education.  Burt, the tax is still due.  So, that would explain the amount you owe increasing when you enter the 1099-R.

*The penalty exception is for IRAs only and does not apply to a 401k or other types of retirement plans. 

Carl
Level 15

While the withdrawal may be exempt from the early withdrawal penalty, it is still taxable income. The taxability of that income will be offset by the "qualified" education expenses it is used to pay for.

Any amount not used for qualified education expenses will be taxed. If an early withdrawal, it will also be penalized at an additional 10%.

RES2
Level 1

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies