Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Yamalentt

Who reports the 1099Q?

Hello, ToddL,

Thank you for your post.  

I am curious to understand what it means that the 1099-Q can be reported as income or as deduction.

First, does this include non-qualified distributions or only qualified?  My withdrawal was non-qualified.

Second, what is the purpose or reason to list it as deduction vs. income?  Might it lower my tax bracket?

Third, does entering it as deduction LOWER the income of the tax payer?  I thought deductions were for EXPENSES rather than for income?  I have $13,000 in earnings listed on my 1099Q and am considering itemizing my deductions by putting this 529 money as a large deduction.  

Last, does the 10% penalty come off first and then the taxes are paid?

I appreciate any help you can provide as I am not a tax savvy person.

Eric 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Who reports the 1099Q?

It is not entered as a deduction or credit. 

It is listed in the "Deductions & Credit" section because it should be matched to a 1098-T which is a form to claim a credit. 

It would never be entered on a Schedule A. 

Please click the link below for more information: 

Where to enter a 1099-Q

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Who reports the 1099Q?

My problem is that I withdrew the money from the 529 as the grandmother and sent a check to my granddaughter to pay the tuition.  Now I have a 1099 in my name.  How do I report this.

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Who reports the 1099Q?

If the funds were used only for qualified education expenses, you actually do not need to report it at all.  Form 1099-Q is only required to be listed on the tax return when a taxable distribution occurs.  If the funds were used to pay tuition, and there was not an excess distribution, then you do not have to report the distribution.  

The instructions on the form itself point this out, albeit in rather a tiny type, often on the back (sometimes on the bottom half of the form it reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return."

The rules for what makes it taxable or not can get a little complicated, but generally, if she didn't also have scholarships or take credits that also covered expenses with the same funds, the distribution isn't taxable.  

@shirlkoul

Hal_Al
Level 15

Who reports the 1099Q?

@shirlkoul  In most cases, you can simply ignore the 1099-Q (don't report it at all). See  KrisD15's reply for details.

But, you have to coordinate with the student and his/her parents.  If they have used some of the tuition payments to claim a tuition credit, you may not use the same expenses to claim an exclusion of the 529 plan earnings.

Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship*

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit (on the parents return)

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q ( on your return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $600

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free

60%x600= $360

You have $240 of taxable income (600-360)

*Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit.

MomtoJS

Who reports the 1099Q?

Good morning.   You said whomever the 1099-Q is issued to must report it, but you also said the student can report with the offsetting expenses.    In my case the 1099-Q is issued to me, the parent.   Can my students report it instead of me?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Who reports the 1099Q?

Q.  In my case the 1099-Q is issued to me, the parent.   Can my students report it instead of me?

A. No.  The "recipient" (your name and $$# are on the 1099-Q) must report it.

Q. You said whomever the 1099-Q is issued to must report it, but you also said the student can report with the offsetting expenses.

A.  That should read the recipient can report with the offsetting expenses.

For more specific help, explain what you're trying to do and Provide the following info:

• Are you the student or parent.
  • Is the student  the parent's dependent.
  • Box 1 of the 1098-T
  • box 5 of the 1098-T
  • Any other scholarships not shown in box 5
  • Does box 5 include any of the 529/ESA plan payments (it should not)
  • Is any of the Scholarship restricted; i.e. it must be used for tuition
  • Box 1 of the 1099-Q
  • Box 2 of the 1098-Q
  • Who’s name and SS# are on the 1099-Q, parent or student (who’s the “recipient”)?
  • Room & board paid. If you live off campus, what is school's R&B charge
  • Other qualified expenses not included in box 1 of the 1098-T, e.g. books & computers
  • How much taxable income does the student have, from what sources

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Qualified Tuition Plans  (QTP 529 Plans) Distributions

General Discussion

It’s complicated.

For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q. 
The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.** The recipient's name & SS# will be on the 1099-Q.
Even though the 1099-Q is going on the student's return, the 1098-T should go on the parent's return, so you can claim the education credit. You can do this because he is your dependent.

You can and should claim the tuition credit before claiming the 529 plan earnings exclusion. The educational expenses he claims for the 1099-Q should be reduced by the amount of educational expenses you claim for the credit.
But be aware, you can not double dip. You cannot count the same tuition money, for the tuition credit,  that gets him an exclusion from the taxability of the earnings (interest) on the 529 plan. Since the credit is more generous; use as much of the tuition as is needed for the credit and the rest for the interest exclusion. Another special rule allows you to claim the tuition credit even though it was "his" money that paid the tuition.
In addition, there is another rule that says the 10% penalty is waived if he was unable to cover the 529 plan withdrawal with educational expenses either because he got scholarships or the expenses were used (by him or the parents) to claim the credits. He'll have to pay tax on the earnings, at his lower tax rate (subject to the “kiddie tax”), but not the penalty.

Total qualified expenses (including room & board) less amounts paid by scholarship less amounts used to claim the Tuition credit equals the amount you can use to claim the earnings exclusion on the 1099-Q. 
Example:
  $10,000 in educational expenses(including room & board)

-$3000 paid by tax free scholarship***

-$4000 used to claim the American Opportunity credit

=$3000 Can be used against the 1099-Q (usually on the student’s return)

Box 1 of the 1099-Q is $5000

Box 2 is $600

3000/5000=60% of the earnings are tax free

60%x600= $360

You have $240 of taxable income (600-360)

**Alternatively; you can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. Again, you cannot double dip!  When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records, in case of an IRS inquiry.

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

***Another alternative is have the student report some of his scholarship as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit.

Who reports the 1099Q?

Still trying to figure out education expenses:

My daughter received both a 1099-Q and 1099-T in her name and SSN. I am claiming her as a dependent, but she also had income from a summer job, so she's filing her own return. I've read varying opinions on who reports what on their returns. If my daughter includes the 1099-Q and I report the 1099-T, she ends up owing a bunch since I have all the education expenses on my return for which the 529 funds were used (reported on her return). It seems like both should be on the same return; the question is which one?

Hal_Al
Level 15

Who reports the 1099Q?

@kjwhitcomb said ". It seems like both should be on the same return; the question is which one?"

No, or at least not necessarily.  Most likely the 1098-T goes on both your returns, with some modification. 

Provide the following info for more specific help:

• Are you the student or parent.
  • Is the  student  the parent's dependent.
  • Box 1 of the 1098-T
  • box 5 of the 1098-T
  • Any other scholarships not shown in box 5
  • Does box 5 include any of the 529/ESA plan payments (it should not)
  • Is any of the Scholarship restricted; i.e. it must be used for tuition
  • Box 1 of the 1099-Q
  • Box 2 of the 1098-Q
  • Who’s name and SS# are on the 1099-Q, parent or student (who’s the “recipient”)?
  • Room & board paid. If student lives off campus, what is school's R&B charge. If the student lives at home, only the school's board charge for on campus students. 
  • Other qualified expenses not included in box 1 of the 1098-T, e.g. books & computers
  • How much taxable income does the student have, from what sources
  • Are you trying to claim the tuition credit (are you eligible)?
  • Is the student an undergrad or grad student?

Who reports the 1099Q?

My daughter will receive a large tax free tuition scholarship.  For the 2021 calendar year, it will be $17,500.  We intend to take a non-penalty matching distribution from a 529 plan that is owned by her grandparents.  She will have no other income to report.  She can be claimed as a dependent on her parents return.

Is it correct that the earnings portion of the 529 plan distribution should be reported as unearned income on my daughter’s tax return?  Is it correct that long term capital gains will have a 0% tax liability (because her earned income is less than $39,000), and that short term capital gains will have a 10% tax liability up to the first $12,000 in earnings?  Can I expect earnings to be broken down into short- and long-term capital gains and dividends on her 1099Q?

Thank you - this all seems so complicated.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Who reports the 1099Q?

Q.Is it correct that the earnings portion of the 529 plan distribution should be reported as unearned income on my daughter’s tax return?  

A. Yes, if she is the recipient (see below*). The grandparents have the option of requesting the fund send the money to her,  them or the school.

Q. Is it correct that long term capital gains will have a 0% tax liability (because her earned income is less than $39,000), and that short term capital gains will have a 10% tax liability up to the first $12,000 in earnings?

A. No. 529 distributions are treated as ordinary income; even though the earnings, within the fund,  may have  originally come from capital gains and/or qualified dividends.

Q. Can I expect earnings to be broken down into short- and long-term capital gains and dividends on her 1099Q?

A. No. The distribution will just  be reported as  earnings (box 2 of the 1099-Q) and basis (box 3). The total  distribution will be in box 1.  The box 2 amount is the taxable amount.

Q. This all seems so complicated.

A.  It is and it gets more complicated.  Another alternative is have the student report some of her scholarship** as taxable income, to free up some expenses for the 1099-Q and/or tuition credit.  Taxable scholarship is treated as earned income for purposes of the standard deduction (but not the "kiddie tax").  The student gets a $12,400 deduction, instead of only $1100. 

Another issue: Room and board, are qualified expenses for a 529 distribution (but not for a tax credit or  tax free scholarship). 

*For 529 plans, there is an “owner” (usually the parent), and a “beneficiary” (usually the student dependent). The "recipient" of the distribution can be either the owner or the beneficiary depending on who the money was sent to. When the money goes directly from the Qualified Tuition Plan (QTP) to the school, the student is the "recipient". The distribution will be reported on IRS form 1099-Q.  The 1099-Q gets reported on the recipient's return.

**There is a tax “loop hole” available. The student reports all his scholarship, up to the amount needed to claim the American Opportunity Credit (AOC), as income on his return. That way, the parents  (or himself, if he is not a dependent) can claim the tuition credit on their return. They can do this because that much tuition was no longer paid by "tax free" scholarship.  You cannot do this if the school’s billing statement specifically shows the scholarships being applied to tuition or if the conditions of the grant are that it be used to pay for qualified expenses.

Using an example: Student has $10,000 in box 5 of the 1098-T and $8000 in box 1. At first glance he/she has $2000 of taxable income and nobody can claim the American opportunity credit. But if she reports $6000 as income on her return, the parents can claim $4000 of qualified expenses on their return.

Who reports the 1099Q?

Thanks for those clarifications!

jtvdallas

Who reports the 1099Q?

After I entered my daughter's summer job income (<1K) and 1099-Q earnings (<3K), I could not find an option to enter her college expenses in her return to zero out the 1099-Q earnings.  TT came back with a federal tax due amount.  Can you post the screen shot where I can enter the college expenses again?  May be the path to get to screen as well?  Thx for your help.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Who reports the 1099Q?

The 1099-Q is just an informational document.  It is not required to "be filed". You can just not report the 1099-Q, at all, if your student-beneficiary has sufficient educational expenses, including room & board (even if he lives at home) to cover the distribution. When the box 1 amount on form 1099-Q is fully covered by expenses, TurboTax will enter nothing about the 1099-Q on the actual tax forms. But, it will prepare a 1099-Q worksheet for your records. You would still have to do the math to see if there were enough expenses left over for you to claim the tuition credit. You also cannot count expenses that were paid by tax free scholarships. You cannot double dip! 

On form 1099-Q, instructions to the recipient reads: "Nontaxable distributions from CESAs and QTPs are not required to be reported on your income tax return. You must determine the taxability of any distribution." 

That said, if you are going to enter it, enter the 1099-Q before you enter the 1098-T.

In TurboTax (TT), enter at the 1099-Q at:

Federal Taxes Tab (Personal for H&B version)

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

--Education

--ESA and 529 Qualified Tuition Programs (1099-Q)

In TurboTax (TT), later, enter at the 1098-T at:

Federal Taxes Tab (Personal for H&B version)

Deductions & Credits

-Scroll down to:

--Education

--Education Expenses and Scholarships

Enter it, even if you also entered the 1098-T, on the parent's return, to claim the tuition credit.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Who reports the 1099Q?

Your daughter should have been issued a 1098-T for the college expenses.  It might be available online from her student school account. 

If you are claiming your daughter as a dependent, you may enter the 1099-Q and 1098-T into YOUR TurboTax program so that your program can do the calculations of what income the student might need to claim from the 1099-Q or what you might get as an education credit. 

If the student is not a dependent, the student enters the 1099-Q and 1098-T. 

If the student is a dependent, TurboTax will not accept the 1098-T on the dependent student's return since the dependent student is not eligible for an education credit. Only the income the student needs to claim is entered. 

Federal 

Deduction & Credits 

Education

Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T) 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies